Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1995 7.3L Oil Temp

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Airstreamer67 
#1 ·
Hey gang. I recently set up a tablet to run Torque in my truck. When viewing the Engine Oil Temp value, it is running, what seems to be, rather high. I was cruising the other day for about an hour at 70ish, unloaded, no trailer, AC on, and my temps were around 220-225*. That seems kind of steep. Outside temp was around 85-90*. Thoughts?

What could be a cause of this? Failing Oil Cooler? Coolant was replaced within the last 10k miles or so. Maybe Torque is just wrong? I am kind of at a loss.

Truck is a 1995 F250. ZF-5. 162k miles. 4.10 gears.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I've had the same problem that I've been fighting for quite a while, driving unloaded at 220*, then when towing heavy on flat ground at 240*, then up the grades I've had it up over 270* a few times and up to 287* once. After a new radiator, a new fan clutch, a 6.0 fan, several coolant flushes with new ELC coolant, swaping out to a 195* tstat from a 203*, and an intercooler, I think I finally nailed it down and when towing I havent seen it over 225*. But I've only towed once with it now, and it was only about 9000lbs.

From what people have told me, it is quite normal for the 7.3 to run warm, but not over 240*.

#3 ·
These trucks seem to run at pretty high oil temperatures compared to some, but they don't seem to shorten the life.

I've found that especially at higher RPMs under some load, the oil temps tend to rise. At 70MPH, the RPMs should be pretty high. To me, 220-225F sounds normal.

As noted, when towing, oil temperatures rise higher. I've seen them in the 250F range under heavy tow, especially in the hills. They might run a little higher sometimes, but I don't monitor the gauge all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.