extremely rough running engine, but returned to normal? WTF is this thing doing? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Death Row Inmate #7

extremely rough running engine, but returned to normal? WTF is this thing doing?

hey guys. earlier today i started my truck up coldish(80* oil temp) and it started just fine like normal. i let it start warming up and after letting it run for about 15 seconds of idle time it starting working itself into a slight lope. it has done that for awhile now so i thought nothing of it. well it worked into a small lope like normal, but this time wasn't like other times. normally it will work into a little bit of a lope for a couple seconds then go back to smooth idle. This time it kept loping worse and worse and worse. the engine was popping hard enough that there was smoke just misting out of the stacks pretty good. i took the RPMs up to around 1400 RPM and it just kepting doing this all the way up to 1400 RPM. so i took it up to 2000 RPM and it smoothed out SOME, but not much. looked back and smoke was just about pouring out of the stacks(black smoke), but i wasn't being hard on the throttle at all. just barely touching it.

Let it idle again and unplugged the ICP. the engine popped one good time as soon as i did that and then went right back to being dumb so i plugged it back in. during this whole time ICP appeared to stay normal, but IPR DC% was fluctuating between 12-20%. i switched programs on the chip, no change except for idle speed. turned the truck off, then back on about 10 seconds later and no change, it was still idling crappy and smoking slightly. took it out on the street in street race and went to accelerate.. ICP jumped up to 2900psi, but the truck DID NOT move for chit. it was like there was no fuel there. i looked behind me and there wasn't any smoke. so now i'm thinking to myself like what the hell is going on? i switched tanks to the rear tank and let it idle and after about a 20 seconds it started idling smooth(now oil temp is only 128*). so i took off and fed it some of the ole right foot and it took off like a crazy mother just like it normally does and left a trail of black smoke everywhere since i was in my street race tune. drove it a few miles then back to work and it ran perfectly fine. got back to work, switched it to the front tank of fuel again and everything was fine. let it idle for about 5-10 minutes and it idled smooth and revved nicely the whole time i let it sit there idling. so now i don't think it's a front tank problem as i'm not getting that problem now on the front tank. NO CEL was set this whole time either

I'm wondering if this could be connected to a problem i had yesterday. yesterday i was doing some testing and lugged the engine down in 5th gear @ 1200 RPM and as the boost started to come on it set the CEL and lost a little power.. Not much power was lost, but i found that the ICP was low(maxing at 2000psi instead of 2600psi), boost pressure was 5lbs lower than normal, and at idle the ICP was higher than normal @ 1000psi. unplugged the ICP and NO change in idle(was idling a little rough, but not bad at all. just could tell it wasn't QUITE right). plugged the ICP back in and pulled the codes and got these--- P1280, P0113, P0478. haven't looked these up yet to see what they were. i turned the truck off and then started it back up again a few seconds later and everything returned to normal. ICP was normal, full power was back, normal boost pressures, and normal idle.

So, any thoughts guys??????

Travis
1995 F-250 SC 2wd zf-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:58 AM
PSN Newb

Re: extremely rough running engine, but returned to normal? WTF is this thing doing?

could it be bad fuel?

1997 F250 HD, Manual, 4x4, XLT, Extended Cab LB, DP-Tuner F5, 6637 Intake, Straight pipe, ISSPro Gauges
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Death Row Inmate #7

Re: extremely rough running engine, but returned to normal? WTF is this thing doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylerwick102 View Post
could it be bad fuel?
i doubt it. i drove it 30 miles home from work on that same tank that it was messing up on and it never missed a beat at all. i'm going to put some more fuel in it today and see if anything changes, but fuel pressure is good, its full on oil, everything seems to be working properly to me...

Travis
1995 F-250 SC 2wd zf-5

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:10 AM
PSN Newb

Sounds to me like a sticking ipr. It is moving the oil psi all over. ICP calls for duty and the ipr wont deliver. I would check the ipr for split orings or crud.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:29 AM
PSN Pretender

I had one in the shop the other day that acted similar........ICP waaaay to high. I disconnected the IPR at idle and it continued to run, so needless to say the IPR was stuck shut.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Death Row Inmate #7

i will take a look at the IPR i guess. it has brand new o-rings on it so i doubt there is anything wrong with them and it starts nicely when hot too. i will unplug the IPR at idle and see what happens. haha. whats ppl doing when they clean these things??? just get a new one? it hasn't done it again and ICP seems normal except it's not pounding the ICP straight up to full pressure when i step on it. now it will pop up to 2200psi and then slowly build up to normal WOT pressure as the RPMs rise(this is only in daily, street race, and extreme tunes). in my econo tune if i step on it the ICP shoots straigh up to 2900psi with no problem. i noticed that i got up to 50% IPR DC the other day for the first time too. the exhaust tone seems to have changed significantly. the exhaust note seems DULL(kinda quiet) and smooth where it used to be crisp(loud) and have a nice rumble to it.

i do have a miss that seems to be from the injectors, but can't get new ones yet. i get a code for cylinders 1, 2, and 3 balance/contribution fault and i have never quite known what to look for when you get these codes from the CCT. truck just isn't acting right at all. seems to run fine @ WOT, but exhaust sounds kinda crappy and doesn't have the rumble i'm used to, lost a little boost, and rolls black smoke all the way through the RPMs @ WOT(doesn't clear up). i guess the turbo could be going...

Travis
1995 F-250 SC 2wd zf-5
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 07:51 PM
PSN Veteran

get any of this worked out yet?

00,f350 lariat,4x4,cc,drw,38r,bdp stage 2/170cc/100s,bdp live tunes,4''down 5''back,dieselsite adrenaline,diy RR w/walbro,bellowed uppies, BTS trans!

01, rclb, 4x4, zf6, caned ts tunes, xl work truck package, 4'' tbe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:08 AM
PSN Newb

Travis maybe something got in your stacks and is semi plugging your exhaust? maybe an ex girlfriend paying you back dropped an orange in there .

Walter

96 F250 ext cab 6637 3"down pipe 4" straight pipe ebpv delete ccv mod firestone air rite suspention

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode