Harmonic balancer problems - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Unhappy Harmonic balancer problems

Hello all, so I have been fighting a weird miss I have on my 7.3 for awhile now, well while my ac compressor went out I decided to pull the belt and check and make sure everything was in good condition pulley wise while replacing the compressor, deciding to check the harmonic balancer I fired up the truck with the belt off and noticed that it had a decent wobble to it as it went around, So wondering if maybe bad harmonic balancer would create a weird miss sounding at idle and cuase the truck to not idle smoothly like it should. I did the 1200 rpm test to check for any weird vibrations and as it crept up to 1200 it did begin to shake until I got into the higher rpms, I went over to my brothers truck which is a 7.3 to and did the same test and his had no shake to it at all. Would the balancer create a shake and unsmooth idle sound. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APRECIATED !!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:00 PM
alleged moderator

Re: Harmonic balancer problems

yup, deteriorated rubber in the balancer has caused it to slip, and become out of balance.
replace it with a good one and get rid of that bad one!!

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

will the out of balance cause a unsmooth idle and shake upon revving the engine?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:10 AM
PSN Veteran

Sure it can! For example a bad Dual Mass Flywheel (used on the 5-speed trucks) have been known to cause the same symptoms as a miss. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:57 PM
PSN Veteran

To add to Patrick’s comment. If your truck is a manual I’d check wear of dual mass clutch first. Should be less than 3/4” rotational play between the dual masses. To view take off inspection plate on bottom of bell housing. Often on dual mass systems out of spec clutch can cause rough idle, and engine miss symptoms. Typically when truck is running down to idle in gear and you push clutch peddle in will idle really rough. Also upon start up, but will smooth out on engine acceleration.
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4” exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode