Miss / No power / Major Vibration - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Miss / No power / Major Vibration

97 F350 7.3 Turbo XLT Dually Stock
In December of 2018 I had an original injector go out. It is stock and has 380,000 miles on it. I had enough power with 1 cylinder missing to fairly easily pull my trailer home with no vibration...
I had all 8 injectors replaced with rebuilt ones. (plus glow plugs, under valve cover gaskets, GPR, and had the oil cooler rebuilt because of a leak.)
The truck ran fine until the TRS transmission range sensor went bad – replaced it and truck ran fine until a few months ago. The CEL would randomly come on – until I shut it off – and restarted – and CEL stayed off for several runs – then came back on – and repeat above.
Then one day I drove 100 miles – shut it off for 30 minutes – and it would not start – (tach needle moved) It was almost 2 quarts low on oil and a little low on antifreeze. Checked both - - and no coolant in oil – and no oil in coolant… (added oil & antifreeze)
After letting it sit for an hour – it fired right up. On the way home the CEL came on and a “SERIOUS” vibration started – but only when accelerating.
(I thought U-joint or etc…)
Took it to shop last week and found out that 1 of the rebuilt injectors on passenger side had a bad oil o-ring – (when the motor was cold it would start and run until shut off – then – when still warm – no start until it cooled off.) (Found coolant leak = fixed - and they rebuilt oil cooler... again... because it was leaking again = no charge...)
They found 2 bad injectors on passenger side and another injector bad on drivers side – changed 3 injectors total. (out of warranty. #*#&…) they also changed all 8 of the cups.
However – even with all 8 injectors passing contribution test at the shop –

BTW – it has a new fuel pump. Fuel pressure is good.

As of right now – it idles with a slight “miss” but it’s more like a partially plugged injector – and the “SERIOUS” vibration is apparently coming from the motor and is still there when accelerating and motor has absolutely no power – acts like missing – but more like “slightly out of time” IDM signals to the injectors ????
Guys at shop say possibly a bad compression ring / bent rod – or push rod / valve / etc.??? They are not sure?????
They don’t have a way to test compression.
Would a bad IDM cause this? Or bad CPS? Or a clogged EBP tube and sensor – I believe the tube and sensor have nothing to do with the EBPV – my EBPV is disabled – but I have never cleaned / replaced the EBP tube or sensor…

I have a video of what it is doing now - but I am not allowed to post it directly here. (Watch the entire video - at the end it puffs smoke at high RPM???)
w w w . youtube.com/watch?v=t1n6gqcY7O0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:12 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Miss / No power / Major Vibration

Hopefully the shop that did the injectors evacuated the cylinders of fuel and oil before firing it up! If not they could have hydrolocked it (which could bend a rod). I would find a shop that can do a compression check. This isn't a California model 1997 is it? Just want to make sure that they put in correct injectors. Is your EBPV just unplugged electrically? Is so, you can try mechanically disconnecting it and making sure it is fully open. I would also clean the tube and sensor (it comes out fairly easily). IDM seems OK (it seems they are mostly all or nothing). CPS is a cheap try and if it doesn't fix it you'll have a spare (get OEM only). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanx Patrick.
It's not California.
I have a CPS - just need to get it changed out.
Will update...

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

BTW...
I changed out the ICP when the Transmission Range Sensor was causing the loping idle issue. (I thought it was the ICP - but it turned out to be the TRS)
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:16 PM
PSN Veteran

If you know the EBPV is fully open and you think the Cat may be plugged, disconnect the Cat temporarily and move the connection to the side a bit just to see what happens. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I was looking at that connection - I'll probably have to cut off the clamps and reinstall new ones - but it would be worth it if a clogged CAT is the problem. Going to mess with it when I get time...
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yesterday - forgot to post this... here...
Update…

I changed the CPS (old one was Oriley Auto – worked for several years – I know – I know – OEM… the new one is also oriley’s… I know, I know…) But….
It runs better with the new Oriley CPS – but still has miss and some vibration…
BUT – it is better than before??????

The ICP was replaced a few months ago (also Oriley… I know, I know – but now there is OIL in the plug connector – again…
BUT – I unplugged the ICP and started the truck – jerky idle – straightened out – but when I put it in gear it died instantly…
I plugged the ICP back in - and it will idle and take throttle – in gear – with brakes applied – but still has the “miss”.

Cant get the EBP tube to unscrew from the exhaust manifold to check / clean / or replace it – soaking it with WD40 and ETC. until I can get the threaded end to “spin” on the tube…)

Re cleaned the FPR screen – a little dirty – but not much change after cleaning…

Fuel pressure at idle with a tire pressure gage = 30 PSI.

Below are a couple of pics of the hood and fire wall with “soot / oil – where there wasn’t any before this issue…
When the issue started – I noticed the “exhaust / or – oil” on the hood and firewall near the turbo.
Maybe a plugged catalytic converter is causing some back pressure at the turbo???
Took off the turbo hoses and only saw a few drops of oil on the blades…
But when revving up the motor – in neutral – like the video shows - it sounds like there is “back pressure” at the turbo???

I just can’t believe that a new CPS would make the difference it did with a little better power and less vibration - if it is a mechanical issue (rings / rod / valve / etc.)
Or – maybe – the other 7 cylinders “came alive” better???

I know, I know – I need a compression check………………………….

Could the IDM or the Computer possibly be the culprit?
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Here are the pics of the "soot" on the hood and firewall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Firewall.jpg (21.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Hood.jpg (15.9 KB, 12 views)
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:51 PM
PSN Veteran

If you know the EBPV is fully open and suspect a plugged Cat, you could always disconnect the Cat and move the exhaust out of the way slightly to see what happens. Cheers!

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

UPDATE...

I did the "BB" mod on my FPR on the filter bowl = No Difference.

I swapped the IDM with my other truck = No Difference.

I have a new CPS (black with purple O-Ring) on order and a new Motorcraft ICP from Diesel O-Rings.

I don't believe I have a compression problem (valve / ring / push rod) - unless its a bent piston rod because I
placed the oil filler cap upside down over filler hole - revved the motor to 2500 RPM - cap did not move.

The tin nut on my IPR is tight - and from what I understand - usually when the IPR is bad - the motor won't fire or run at all - or does major hiccupping / etc.

Today I'll try unplugging each UVCH - 1 at a time and see if I can find out if it is a particular cylinder "missing".

Mine starts fairly good - and runs - has a "miss" and no power / and the vibration from the "miss" - so it doesn't "act" like its the IPR???

I've downloaded the FORScan app to my PC - and ordering the adapter connector.

BTW -

I just remembered that my son gave me a SCT Flash "tuner / scanner".
I'll hook it up today and see what I can find out with the minimal diagnostics it has to offer...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode