Motorcraft GL360 215 amp Alternator Trouble - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DieselBronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Man

Send a message via Skype™ to DieselBronco
Motorcraft GL360 215 amp Alternator Trouble

I've been having issues with this alternator failing after only a few months. I am on my 3rd one now from RockAuto and it just failed. The first 2 were re-manufactured, so I just figured they were re-manufactured wrong. The one that just failed was brand new though. I am pretty sure it's the voltage regulator that went bad on this one. I noticed that the dashboard volt meter was spiking up from the the middle of the normal area to the max of the normal area.

I have a bigger ground/positive wire from the alt to the battery and I have a 230 amp fuse on the positive between the alt and battery.

Is there any possible way I could have an electrical issue that is causing these alternators to go bad? I have 3 month old batteries so they aren't going bad and causing more volts to be drawn.

I am just curious if anyone has had any issues like this before I send the thing back and just get a stock size alternator from Autozone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Motorcraft GL360 215 amp Alternator Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBronco View Post
I've been having issues with this alternator failing after only a few months. I am on my 3rd one now from RockAuto and it just failed. The first 2 were re-manufactured, so I just figured they were re-manufactured wrong. The one that just failed was brand new though. I am pretty sure it's the voltage regulator that went bad on this one. I noticed that the dashboard volt meter was spiking up from the the middle of the normal area to the max of the normal area.

I have a bigger ground/positive wire from the alt to the battery and I have a 230 amp fuse on the positive between the alt and battery.

Is there any possible way I could have an electrical issue that is causing these alternators to go bad? I have 3 month old batteries so they aren't going bad and causing more volts to be drawn.

I am just curious if anyone has had any issues like this before I send the thing back and just get a stock size alternator from Autozone.

Is there an electrical shop around your house that could bench test the alternator ( not Autozone) ?
You might have a loose connection on the starter or the starter solenoid ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Man

Send a message via Skype™ to DieselBronco
Re: Motorcraft GL360 215 amp Alternator Trouble

I figured it out. I turned the truck on and put a voltmeter on the pos alternator post to the neg battery post and had like 3 volts. Then I wiggled the cable from the alt to the fuse and it went right up to 15 volts. I took the cable off and it had tons of corrosion under the crimp on fitting that attaches to the alternator. I got a new cable from AutoZone and the alternator has been putting out 15 volts ever since.
longjonsilver likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode