Oil filter talk... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Oil filter talk...

Hey guys, I'm curious on everyones opinion on what oil filter they run, and why.

I'm running a Motorcraft 1995 personally, but I'm interested in the Donaldson Blue Extreme Oil filter that RR sells.

It is 2.5x the cost, as my local O'Reilly's has the 1995 filter for $10, but if it filters better and filters longer between oil changes, I might go for it. Does anyone have any concrete info?

Also open to other oil filters as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:33 AM
PSN Local

Re: Oil filter talk...

I’ve been running them a couple years now. I didn’t try to extend my oil changes or anything, just liked the better filtration. You get an extra quart or two of oil capacity as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1995 Crewcab XLT 4x4 7.3, E4OD, 3.55, TS 6 chip, RiffRaff air filter.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:42 AM
PSN Veteran

On the Powerstroke, I also run a 1995. It's stock, it's cheap, and my pickup doesn't work that hard that often.

That being said, on the big engines we run, I use Napa Gold, or Baldwin. Both work well. We also run Mystic oils. I've had very good luck with Mystic, I've taken apart engines with 500k on them, with zero sludge inside. If you have a Tractor Supply in your area they usually stock it.
And if you can get it, their gear oil is fantastic as well. Really cools a gearbox off. The chassis grease is the best I've ever seen.

This is just years of looking inside oil pans, no concrete test results. Sorry for the oil rant, but seen your question in the build thread.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:03 AM
PSN intsigator

I use the mobil M1-601 unless I happen across the motorcraft 1995 at Wally World for 8 bucks

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 AM
PSN Veteran

Motorcraft Fl1995 on my powerstroke and my idi .
I like the idea of the big “Cat” filter but to me it hangs down too far and just doesn’t look right lol .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:39 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Truck-Nut97 View Post
On the Powerstroke, I also run a 1995. It's stock, it's cheap, and my pickup doesn't work that hard that often.

That being said, on the big engines we run, I use Napa Gold, or Baldwin. Both work well. We also run Mystic oils. I've had very good luck with Mystic, I've taken apart engines with 500k on them, with zero sludge inside. If you have a Tractor Supply in your area they usually stock it.
And if you can get it, their gear oil is fantastic as well. Really cools a gearbox off. The chassis grease is the best I've ever seen.

This is just years of looking inside oil pans, no concrete test results. Sorry for the oil rant, but seen your question in the build thread.

MotorCraft FL 1995 Here. Wally World for $10 and are easily accessible for now.

I use the Mystic Grease. Would like to know more about the oil as I have a TS here in my area.

1996 F350 XL Crew Cab LB 4x4 3:55
Former Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB Truck
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Riff Raff Diesel Turbo & Y Boot Kit
Riff Raff Diesel HPX
Mile Marker 449SS Manual Hubs

1987 F250 XLT Lariat LB 2WD 4:10
6.9/7.3 IDI Swap-SOLD

2010 John Deere 5055D

1974 Deutz 5506
2950 hours-"The Tank"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:21 PM
PSN Local

I have been running Car Quest ones, buy a bunch when they have their fleet/ farm sale.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:25 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilhavenFarm View Post
MotorCraft FL 1995 Here. Wally World for $10 and are easily accessible for now.

I use the Mystic Grease. Would like to know more about the oil as I have a TS here in my area.
I don't do oil testing. I look at wear items when they come apart. I used rotella for a while, and compared to it, the Mystic stays clean longer, and my oil temp runs cooler, not much but 15* or so average. The gear oil cooled the rear drives in my KW about 30*. However, if there is a place to leak, Mystic will find it. It must climb well.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:25 PM
PSN Veteran

I purchased 2 cases of Wix filters that lasted a couple of years when I was driving my truck a lot. Now I just pick up the 1995 when and where it is on sale.

As for the oil not getting as dirty as fast, have you ever thought that it might not be cleaning as well as those that get dirtier quicker?

The only way to know what your oil is doing or how long it will last is to get it analyzed. It doesn't cost that much and it may head off a major problem down the road.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
I purchased 2 cases of Wix filters that lasted a couple of years when I was driving my truck a lot. Now I just pick up the 1995 when and where it is on sale.

As for the oil not getting as dirty as fast, have you ever thought that it might not be cleaning as well as those that get dirtier quicker?

The only way to know what your oil is doing or how long it will last is to get it analyzed. It doesn't cost that much and it may head off a major problem down the road.
Yup. And dismissed the idea just as fast. As a cleaning oil, I find it very impressive. No sludge, VERY minimal black film on the internals. Almost as clean as when assembled. It's not getting dirty because stuff isn't wearing. It does get dirty eventually, and a dirty running engine will turn it black sooner. It's the only thing I've ever seen clean up the mess Pennzoil left in a gasser as a side note.

If a guy wants to have his oil analysed, that's fantastic. I don't mess with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode