1997 7.3 towing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

1997 7.3 towing

So I got this truck thatís been sitting for 3 years and today was itís first day at work. Iím hauling a 7x16 enclosed trailer with 2 big zero turn mowers in it. I was using a 98 Chevy k1500 with the 5.7 that did fine. I donít understand all the hype about how ď7.3 will pull a house downĒ that Iíve seen in the past but from a dead stop it takes 30 seconds to get to 60mph and on the free way it wonít hold 65 going up a hill. I have 4:10s my half ton hauled the same set up and would do so much better. Is there something wrong with my truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:23 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 1997 7.3 towing

What transmission do you have?
What RPM are you turning at 65?

Mine is an E4OD with 4.10's, and does not like 65.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:25 AM
PSN Local

somethings it wrong

post #4 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Truck-Nut97 View Post
What transmission do you have?
What RPM are you turning at 65?

Mine is an E4OD with 4.10's, and does not like 65.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Itís automatic and at 65 itís about 2500-2700 rpm I canít remember exactly

post #5 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:44 AM
PSN Veteran

How many miles on the truck / engine?

post #6 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
How many miles on the truck / engine?

post #7 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:52 AM
PSN Veteran

1997 7.3 towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.wasilko View Post

Might be in need of a set of injectors .

But first , have you serviced it ? Oil and filter change . These engines use high pressure oil to fire the injectors and if the engine oil is used up then they run - not as well as then could . New fuel filter ? Checked the air filter ? If that truck set any length of time then thereís a possibility that the air filter box is full of mice nest stuff .
Have you cleaned the fuel strainer in the fuel bowl ? That strainer is bad for getting full of trash and cause a no power issue like the truck is doing you now ....
these trucks arenít rockets but they should walk all over a 5.7 , and no not because itís a Chevy .

post #8 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Might be in need of a set of injectors .

But first , have you serviced it ? Oil and filter change . These engines use high pressure oil to fire the injectors and if the engine oil is used up then they run - not as well as then could . New fuel filter ? Checked the air filter ? If that truck set any length of time then thereís a possibility that the air filter box is full of mice nest stuff .
Have you cleaned the fuel strainer in the fuel bowl ? That strainer is bad for getting full of trash and cause a no power issue like the truck is doing you now ....
these trucks arenít rockets but they should walk all over a 5.7 , and no not because itís a Chevy .

All That stuff was changed while I was working on it trying to get it to start I donít remember looking for trash in the fuel bowl I can look tomorrow tho. But as of right now the 5.7 would destroy the 7.3 but Iíd like for it to be the other way around

post #9 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:00 AM
PSN Veteran

1997 7.3 towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.wasilko View Post
All That stuff was changed while I was working on it trying to get it to start I donít remember looking for trash in the fuel bowl I can look tomorrow tho. But as of right now the 5.7 would destroy the 7.3 but Iíd like for it to be the other way around

The strainer in the fuel bowl is part of the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel bowl. It will require some disassembly to get to it and a few cans of brake clean and compressed air to clean it . Youíll also need some new Orings too while youíre in there .
One other thing you can check is to make sure the exhaust back pressure valve is open all the way / is functional as well . If youíre in a warm climate unplug it , itís a oil leak waiting to happen and a restriction on the exhaust .

post #10 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
The strainer in the fuel bowl is part of the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel bowl. It will require some disassembly to get to it and a few cans of brake clean and compressed air to clean it . Youíll also need some new Orings too while youíre in there .
One other thing you can check is to make sure the exhaust back pressure valve is open all the way / is functional as well . If youíre in a warm climate unplug it , itís a oil leak waiting to happen and a restriction on the exhaust .

I live in middle TN our weather is whatever it chooses to be but Iíd say itís more warm than cold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode