IDM or what????? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

IDM or what?????

Hi folks, well I made it through winter, spring is here (well sorta in Vermont) and truck is dead again! Got the folks over at powerstroke dot org helping me out too. Nothing works as of yet. Here is my opening statement {edited} to them.

Thursday morning {that would have been the Mar 28th I believe} started truck(normally), started right up. While still sitting in the truck(about 2 minutes) it just stopped like it ran out of fuel BUT, no sputtering or hesitation, just stopped. Now it won't start. It's been running fine all winter including a couple -30F nights. I'm probably jumping the gun here as I do have a fuel filter coming how ever I don't think it's the filter. While it does seem as though it's out of fuel it just doesn't act like a plugged fuel filter (ie, no loss of power, etc). {It was running fine then just stopped.} It does try if I wait a few minutes but no start and the check engine light comes on. {It doesn't do that anymore,it just cranks, no fire} I've got to find someone with a scantool to check the code. What should I be looking for in the scantool readings, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ok now that, that's out of the way, what I have done since then. Changed oil and filter and fuel filter HOPEING for something simple .....yes I was dreaming. Found burnt injector/glow plug harness connector for #1 #3 at the valve cover. it was connector for glowplug #1 to be exact. replaced right bank gasket, UVCH, and pigtails for both 1-3 and 5-7. It was a problem but not THE problem. Ohmed out all connections from IDM connector to repective injectors. Checked for short to ground on shared power to injectors, to ground and to shielding. All within spec. Checked and replace IPC sensor as oil was present under pigtail. Found a friend with scantool did a buz test on injectors found a 261 code on #1 (my bad) at some point I bent a pin at the valve cover connection I straightened pin and redid buz test, check out, no 261. Fuel pressure to injectors read 3000+ psi. Ran tests again all came back system OK. Still no start. Most everything points to IDM, BUT found a recall on Camshaft Position Sensor creating a no-start situation however scantool shows no errors and does read RPM. It's pouring rain today so more investigation will have to wait. If anyone thinks I missed something please let me know.

Thanks Wildbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 PM
Not completely stoopid

Garage
Re: IDM or what?????

Alright this is a shot in the dark but I had almost the exact issue your having even swapped the same parts. I ended up finding a wire that was cut or pinched right at idm connector. Trace the wires for your drivers side injectors back to the idm and check along the whole length for a frayed or broken wire. I put a decent amount of money into my truck trying to fix this only to find out it was 2 wires and took me 2 minutes to fix with a butt connector. I hope this helps or your find your issue. I have also heard of the cps causing issues and the general recommendation is to get one directly from international. I believe there is a way to test the idm but I can't remember exactly I'll try and track down some info for you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:07 PM
PSN Veteran

For the wiring end of things, you can do the tests outlined in this tech bulletin. A bad CPS won't always throw a code and they are cheap enough to just try a new one (use OEM only). If that's not it, you have a spare for the glovebox (which is always a good thing). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 PM
PSN Veteran

how about that #22 fuse and the fuel bowl heater? The wires to the cam sensor...chaffed?

1996 F350 Crewcab lb 2wd auto, tommylift, now over 451k, 355k 3/31/15

1991 F250 Xtracab lb 2wd auto, sold again! Driveline and chassis is under a '65 F350 cab

1965 F100 styleside, power brakes, front discs, 390 all the goodies
2015 F250 CCSB 2wd gasser auto
2008 Mustang WIP, warriors in pink, wife's
2009 Focus, son's
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Floridacracker Yes I am leaning towards the CPS. As I understand it the CPS allows the CPM to order the IDM to fire the injectors (at the right time and duration of course). Boy that sounds really sick. :-) Can't believe I'm talking (or thinking that way). Anyway, if I get this correct when using scantool or other computer to do a buz test the tool take the place of the CPM and orders the IDM to fire the injectors. And that works! So that would rule out the IDM. When the weather clears I'm going to check the CPS, it's supposed to be gray not black I'll also check the wires you mentioned for ware. I don't know, right now my brain is turning into jelly. Time for a beer or two or three or............

:-) Wildbill
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Patrick, you get around!!!!!!! :-) Ran all those tests all OK.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussamdad View Post
how about that #22 fuse and the fuel bowl heater? The wires to the cam sensor...chaffed?
All fuses OK. When the rain stops IF it every stops. I'm going to check some of the things you folks have mentioned.

Thanks to all.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwildman View Post
Floridacracker Yes I am leaning towards the CPS. As I understand it the CPS allows the CPM to order the IDM to fire the injectors (at the right time and duration of course). Boy that sounds really sick. :-) Can't believe I'm talking (or thinking that way). Anyway, if I get this correct when using scantool or other computer to do a buz test the tool take the place of the CPM and orders the IDM to fire the injectors. And that works! So that would rule out the IDM. When the weather clears I'm going to check the CPS, it's supposed to be gray not black I'll also check the wires you mentioned for ware. I don't know, right now my brain is turning into jelly. Time for a beer or two or three or............

:-) Wildbill
Whooops CPM PCM told you itp;s time for a beer!!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:23 AM
PSN Newb

Does it tried to fire at all? Or is it just an out right crank no start?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode