Quick Turbo Lesson please!!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quick Turbo Lesson please!!!

Well Iv got a hunch that my turbo is about to go KA-BOOM and am needing a little lesson on what kind of turbos to be looking for and the differences in them. Iv seen some on ebay for some good prises but am woundering what the difference is between a 1.00 1.10 and 1.15, housings and compressior wheel?. Everybody claims to have this and that but from experience what should i get for a truck that is driven everyday, pulls a trailor everyonce and awhile and in the future going to have a big chip on it. Iv got a new down pipe and stright lines to.????????????????? O yea and around 650 bucks to if possible.

1999 Ford F.250 4X4 Cortex
1976 Ford F.100 step-side 347 STROKER (Fast)
1963 Ford F.100 4X4 (ORIGINAL 223CI)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 05:00 AM
your mom

Re: Quick Turbo Lesson please!!!

well lets start here what do you mean by big chip . what kind of tunes and tuner where do you live elivation plays a key part. are you planing on ever puting stage 1s in it. and personal pref the turbos on e-bay like from rons turbo are not worth ur time. also in a obs i dont think a wicked wells worth it

f350 king ranch dubed. ol ranchero thanks to wayne
04 cc/lb 9inch lift C-6 built converter custom revs manual valve body r servo. powered by 12v cummins p-pump 4k gvs custom lasered dlv pump work, 5x16 sticks, singler charger for now, airdog150, its on meth lots of custom junk. hids road armor bumper and im truck broke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 f-150
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 AM
PSN Veteran

What makes you think yours is going "Kaboom" ? How the fins look? what kine boost do you see?

If your keeping stock injectors And just getting a chip, A Stock turbo should do you fine

96'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 Some stuff

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:45 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

I'd pull the intake and check the turbo for play before you go dropping money on another one. A little side to side play is normal, any in and out play is not. Also the wheel should not contact the housing.

You don't really have to worry about hurting a stock turbo with just a chip, the most you'll make is about 260hp at the rear wheels. The OBS trucks have too small of injectors to do much. Now if you get injectors that changes, I killed a few stockers back in the day with stage II's.

As for Ron, other members as well as myself have bought turbo rebuild kits and compresor wheels from him, and he was great to deal with. I would expect the same from his complete turbos.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMPowerstroke View Post
well lets start here what do you mean by big chip . what kind of tunes and tuner where do you live elivation plays a key part. are you planing on ever puting stage 1s in it. and personal pref the turbos on e-bay like from rons turbo are not worth ur time. also in a obs i dont think a wicked wells worth it
Holy Crap whats that piston out of in the picture??? And what i mean by Big Chip is like a Tony Wildman 6 pos. or a TS performance 6 pos. one or the other in the Future. I live in the Hills and hallars of western Ky and dont know what the elivation is. I really dont know about putting new injectors in it yet probly not though. Im trying to save all the money i can for college.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
What makes you think yours is going "Kaboom" ? How the fins look? what kine boost do you see?

If your keeping stock injectors And just getting a chip, A Stock turbo should do you fine
Well dont have a boost gauge yet but am working on it. The main reason i think somthing is wrong is when i bought the truck there was a metal wire tie riged up from a linkage on the turbo on the exhaulst side to the motor hitch. (That place were you can hook your motor hoist to too pull the motor) Any ways when i cut the wire tie. i started having this awfull sound form the exhaulst and when it makes the sound it boggs down my motor. I aint got a clue what it is but i made another wire tie and fixed it again. WHATS THAT GOT TO DO WITH IT??????????

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
oil burner

sounds like your exhaust backpressure valve was rigged open somehow

96 f250, ZF5,160cc,
300k miles

96 f350 plow truck
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by tughill283 View Post
Why would it try shuting on me while the truck is just running tho? And is that a stack through your hood? whats that sound like?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Strokin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tughill283 View Post

I unhooked mine. some guys just delete the EBPV.

94' F-250 PSD, Reg. cab, 4x4, ZF-5, K&N, 3" DP, 5" Exhaust.

93' F-250 SCLB, 4x4, Gas.
88' F-350 460 Wrecker. Lots of LED's.

The Bank doesn't own my trucks.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 PM
PSN Veteran

like stated that your ebpv your turbo is fine, its there to help warm it when the oil temp is below a certin point.

02 f250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode