WTS light - symptom or cause? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By heavydoc
  • 1 Post By xrcris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

WTS light - symptom or cause?

Hey all - I've been chasing an intermittent problem for a year or so, but it's only been really bad when it's cold (winter) and the engine is cold. 4 out of 5 times, the truck will start and run ok for a minute or so and from then until 15 minutes of running or so, it will sputter and die. When it's doing this, the WTS light will come on/flicker and I'm not sure if this is a symptom or cause (voltage drops as well, so it really is cycling the glow plugs).

The AE did show low values for the engine coolant so I replaced that sensor (and since it's got 280K, along with the ICP, IPR and CPS - all from RiffRaff) with no change.

Anyone have a thought on what to look at next? I've had the truck for about 18-yrs and have bounced around the different forums since then and can't recall anyone every mentioning the WTS light coming back on once the truck is running.

Truck runs pretty good once it warms up. THanks!

97 F-350 PSD Crew-Cab Swamped, Stan's Headers DP, SuperChip, Homemade Cat-Delete Pipe & 4-inch straight pipe w/ Banks Techni-cooler.

27' Komfort Bunkhouse TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:07 AM
PSN intsigator

Re: WTS light - symptom or cause?

Sounds like your PCM is losing power, check your power and grounds
Dustybumpers likes this.

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Sounds like you have a couple of problems.

If the WTS light is coming back on without cycling the key you are loosing power to the PCM. You might try swapping relays in the under hood box. Also check fuses #9 which runs power to the PCM and #22 that supplies power to the PCM relay.

The sputtering and dying could be a fuel problem

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

THanks for the replies, HeavyD - when checking for power, assume you mean the pins at the PCM?

I'll check the fuses/box/relays as well. I do think its something fuel related as well, just think it's something related to the electrical side of it rather than mechanical (or GP/gelling etc.).

97 F-350 PSD Crew-Cab Swamped, Stan's Headers DP, SuperChip, Homemade Cat-Delete Pipe & 4-inch straight pipe w/ Banks Techni-cooler.

27' Komfort Bunkhouse TT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 AM
PSN Veteran

With the WTS light coming back on that is saying that the PCM lost power, the voltage drop would also show that the PCM lost power and activated the glow plugs just like a restart.

The sputtering and dying may or may not be another problem altogether. But if it sputters and dies and the WTS light doesn't not come on then I would suspect a fuel problem

It really sounds like you have two separate problems but from your description it may just be one.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I might have characterized the "sputter" wrong, it doesn't start missing like you would feel when it's running out of fuel, more like a little surge in RPMs then it just quits.

If I'm going down hill and it quits (and I think this might be important) the tach still reads the RPMs that the wheels are spinning the engine at. If the entire PCM lost power, would the tach still work? Would this point to an internal problem with the PCM?

BTW, took it out to dinner and it ran fine the whole way. Temps are in the 50's though.

27' Komfort Bunkhouse TT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Wanted to post a follow-up; replaced the sensors that weren't reading right -and it ran better, but was still chasing problems. Like a dummy, when I was thinking it might be a PCM issue, I didn't do the first thing i should've - pull the chip.

On a side note, even though it was a real (REAL) old Superchip, driving around w/o it for a few days makes me miss it. Forgot how much of a difference it makes.

Moral of the story - don't overlook the obvious things!
Blue-Truck-Nut97 likes this.

27' Komfort Bunkhouse TT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode