Sending unit wiring diagram? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Sending unit wiring diagram?

Newbie here!

I just recently picked up my first Powerstroke. It's a 95 F-Super Duty cab and chassis. Something is up with the fuel gauge, and I'm trying to run it to ground. It's showing well past full. I got under the truck tonight and noticed that one of the wires on the top of the unit has pulled out of the plug, and I'm trying to figure out which wire it is. Can anyone supply me with a diagram as to what wire does what? It was almost dark when I noticed this so I wasn't able to really dig into it. I found this sending unit online, and it says that it doesn't fit the plastic tank, but the wires on the top of it SEEM to be the same. The green wire (far right in the picture) is the one that's pulled out. Anybody able to shed any light on my issue?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Sending unit wiring diagram?

The more I look at it, the more that wire looks gray to me. I'm legit partially colorblind, so don't fault me for that lol. Regardless, that's my problem child right now. I've been searching all over the internet and I just can't find any sort of wiring diagrams for this thing. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spot.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:49 AM
PSN Local

it's white wire and I believe it's the ground . but no matter if it's not connected I would say it could be your problem .

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Here's the 97 wiring diagram. 94-97 are the same. Note the Diesel diagram only shows two wires for each of the sending units. The gas diagram has an additional two wires shown for each sending unit for the integral pump (which the diesels don't have). Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel Tank Selector (Diesel).pdf (156.1 KB, 11 views)

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Alright, after doing some more looking today in the sunlight I was mistaken about the pulled out wire. That was a mix of old electrical tape and pine needles giving the look of frayed wires. I did, however confirm that there are 4 wires coming out of the sending unit going to the plug, but the vehicle harness only has 2 wires going to that plug. So, am I to assume that 2 of the wires from the sending unit aren't used? Or has someone put in a sending unit from a gasser? My fuel gauge is stuck past "Full" and I'm just trying to troubleshoot this one before spending almost $500 on a new one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode