1997 F250HD fuel problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1997 F250HD fuel problem

I recently bought a 1997 F250HD 7.3 4x4 5spd extended cab short bed. I pulled this truck off a friends farm where it had lived for the last several years. It had been driven about 20 miles a year and both tanks were full of farm diesel. I got it to my shop, took it off the trailer and drove it to the car wash for a good doushing. After about a mile it started missing a little, then more and more until it was about to die. I switched the tank selector from the front to the rear and it came back to life. I then went straight to the station to check the fuel level in the front tank thinking it was empty(both tanks jump around over the full mark) but both tanks were practically full. So I ran it for a while on the rear and it eventually did the same thing. My neighbor has some Powerstroke experience so I let him have it to figure out. He replaced the fuel pumps, CPS and 2 glow plugs. He said selector checked out OK. It now runs great on rear tank, but front still does same thing. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:01 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 1997 F250HD fuel problem

What does the fuel filter look like.

Being ran on farm diesel and sitting I would wager that you have algae in the tanks and it may of clogged the fuel line from the front tank. You can disconnect the fuel line at the selector valve and then put some low pressure air into the tank and see if any fuel blows out or if it is clogged.

By the way you only have one fuel pump and it is a mechanical one that sits behind the filter housing almost under the turbo.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 1997 F250HD fuel problem

The filter was normal. I'll have him check the valve next. Is there still a difference in highway diesel and farm diesel today? My farmer friend says the only difference is the dye and the price. I can still smell sulfur though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode