Powersteering flush - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Powersteering flush

Hello all. So I've been needing to do a power steering flush to my 95 f250. Everything I've been seeing on this topic has been on 99-up powerstrokes. Can someone give me some tips on where to start with my obs. I understand how the procedure works just not sure which hose to disconnect. Any Info would be much appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:57 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Powersteering flush

What I’ve just done is replaced the power steering cooler line (hard line) on my Tan White Tan truck. Went to the wreckers and bought an SD power steering cooler that was clean and in great shape. It’s a vertical stacked plate version (guessing 4” wide, 3” high 1” thick, two mounting legs, with nipples on drivers side) and replaces the hard line that circles around the front engine cross member on our OBS versions. Drilled one new mounting hole (drivers side of x member) and used an existing one for new cooler, to hang on x member directly below front of engine. Replaced line from (back side of) reservoir down to new cooler using 3/8” high pressure, fuel, bio fuel, oil rated quality line with SS hose clamps. Using a mini pipe cutter and cut the hard line from the steering gear box where it turns down (and easy to access at x member) and added a length of hose to complete circuit to cooler. Left lower line (on cooler) loose and filled reservoir, crawled under and bled air via gravity, tightened SS clamps. Refilled reservoir, fired up truck and cycled steering lock to lock for a few cycles. Shut down, popped bottom line at cooler off again drained and refilled system as above.
Cheers,
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4” exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for more of a flush on stock power steering set up. Instead of doing all that add on stuff, Something a bit more simple than all that.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:25 AM
PSN Veteran

Ok, unhook rubber hose at rear of power steering unit, just need small pliers to undo hose clip and slide down so you can push hose off. P steering oil will drain out of reservoir, hook up hose, fill reservoir. Start engine cycle steering lock to lock a few times, refill and repeat. Guessing you’ll need to repeat 5 times or until reservoir oil is clean. There will be a fair amount of volume to replace, guessing you’ll need 2 litres of P steering fluid. Should have system capacity in the manual.
j
jamiesaun likes this.

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4” exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
).

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:27 AM
Master BS'er

Don't disconnect anything. Just suck out the reservoir, fill it with clean fluid, move it through the system and suck it back out. Keep going until the fluid you suck out is clean. Then you're done.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Alright thank you both. I like the idea of syphing the fluid out and repeat but does that really do the job? And will I run into an issue of air getting into the system when doing that?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:29 AM
PSN Veteran

Sucking it out works great and don't worry about getting air into the system. If you can jack up your truck with both front wheels off of the ground all you need to do is to crank the steering from lock to lock a few times and all will be well.

To suck it out just pick up a turkey baster, the kind with a long tube and a rubber bulb at the end of it.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95dinosaur View Post
Alright thank you both. I like the idea of syphing the fluid out and repeat but does that really do the job? And will I run into an issue of air getting into the system when doing that?
No, the truck won't be running when you do it, so air shouldn't be a problem. As stated already, Definitely have the front wheels off the ground when flushing though. Way easier on the pump. And if it has a hydroboost for the power brakes, don't forget to pump the brakes a bunch of times too.

Brother James

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:49 PM
PSN Veteran

Shouldn't have hydroboost on a 95 unless someone converted it. I know when I cycled my steering with the engine not running, it blew the reservoir cap off and I had fluid everywhere (why I don't know). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:42 PM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Shouldn't have hydroboost on a 95 unless someone converted it. I know when I cycled my steering with the engine not running, it blew the reservoir cap off and I had fluid everywhere (why I don't know). Cheers!
That's normal on a Ford. I don't know why they do that either, but every time we push in an older Ford, it leaves a trail of power steering fluid the whole way in.

I mean it shouldn't be running when sucking the fluid out. But when pumping the fluid around, it has to be running for that.

Brother James

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode