Slight miss , sometimes... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Slight miss , sometimes...

1997 Ford F-350 7.3 289,000 Miles ZF

So Iíve got a slight miss in the service truck , it seems to happen when pulling up to a stop light . Power seems ok going down the road .
I ran a cylinder contribution test and found no codes . I took a infrared thermometer to each exhaust port and the rear three cylinders on both sides where a lot warmer so I attributed that to the fan blowing on the engine. I checked the external valve cover harnesses for burned pins connectors looked great .
I might pull the valve covers and look at the oil discharge when hot , Iíll also check fuel pressure.
One thing that Iíve noticed which could possibly be my imagination is ever since the last service the engine does run as smoothly as it normally does which I attribute to the choice of oil I used . Iím not going to start a oil war but Iím tempted to change the oil and see what happens. I still lack about 2000 miles before itís due though . Fuel filter has maybe 800 miles on it .
Looking for any ideas or thoughts .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:08 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Slight miss , sometimes...

Is it full of oil? Not a quart low, not a half quart low, but full? If not fill it and see if it stops acting up. If it IS FULL, try running it a quart over full. That's where I would start.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Slight miss , sometimes...

Iím pretty certain itís full , Iíll have to check it tomorrow when I get to a flat spot .
Itís got a sort of uneven idle to it , like itís surging . I think the IPR is on its way out . When itís cold it runs nice and smooth, no surge . The idle will fluctuate a 150-200 rpms. For as many miles as it has the truck runs pretty good and has good power considering itís almost 10,000lbs .

post #4 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:25 AM
Native Texan

Garage

I had A miss but only while the cruise was set it turned out to be the cps. installed a new Ford unit and my miss was gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #5 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:18 AM
PSN intsigator

My 96 is doing that same thing, and it's the IPR and/or HPOP, I'm gonna change them both shortly and I'll Let you know if it cures my problem. Mine also throughs random oil pressure codes also though, and will stall but fire right back up.

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

The cps is a year old , itís the factory ford purple unit . I was getting a shudder when the windshield wipers were on .
Iím wondering if The HPOP is getting worn out myself. Let me know what you find out heavydoc.

post #7 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:36 PM
PSN intsigator

Will do, gonna try and replace it this weekend, I said the same thing last week to though. Haha

post #8 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavydoc View Post
Will do, gonna try and replace it this weekend, I said the same thing last week to though. Haha

Iím like you , I still havenít timed that 7.3 idi with the timing kit you sent me lol

post #9 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:45 PM
PSN Veteran

Sorry just re-read original post.....

Slight miss or run rough upon idle down, like at a light can be a number of things in my opinion.
With some engine oils my trucks would run rough, especially getting close to change out.
Might be CPS on the way out, but I’d say unlikely unless has had random shut downs.
Could be IRP needs a rebuild kit and or new HPOP, I’d do IRP rebuild first, prior to swapping pump.
Check the ZF5 transmission could be the dual mass flywheel going out which will make run rough in above condition. Should be under 3/4” play (rotational play) between dual mass flywheel, more and you’ll need to replace and get a single mass one... I’m betting it might be this.
You could also clean the fuel bowl regulated return fuel screen.

How long has this condition been happening?
Have you made any recent changes to the truck, different oil, fuel, not running fuel conditioner?
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4Ē exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
).

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #10 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:58 PM
PSN intsigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Iím like you , I still havenít timed that 7.3 idi with the timing kit you sent me lol

Lol, no worries

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode