Advice? Looking at a '97 7.3L Powerstroke - Page 3 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:17 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Advice? Looking at a '97 7.3L Powerstroke

The cab lights were a option on the single wheel F350's but standard on the dullies I believe.

I have seen a lot of F350's without them.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

I have had a few people warning me about the engine swap. Is it really that big of a red flag? Mechanic said the wiring was routed improperly, so the owners Mechanic is taking a look. There's a different harness for the engine swap so I suppose it's a bit rigged up... He said the buzz test was fine but he's cleaning everything up.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:16 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingle View Post
I have had a few people warning me about the engine swap. Is it really that big of a red flag? Mechanic said the wiring was routed improperly, so the owners Mechanic is taking a look. There's a different harness for the engine swap so I suppose it's a bit rigged up... He said the buzz test was fine but he's cleaning everything up.
If you go in understanding that it's a 22 year old truck that someone has heavily modified. And by you description not done very good. He's unloading his headache to someone else. IMHO

SparkyF250
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4
4" Flo-Pro, Edge CTS2 Pro
Blue Spring, IPR coolant filter
Toyo Open Country AT2's

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4
7.3, ZF6
Hydra, Edge CTS2
S&B Cold Air
4" SS Diamond Eye Exhaust

1991 F350 Single Cab Flatbed
7.3 IDI 5 Speed
Toyo Open Country AT2's
(project truck)

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyF250 View Post
If you go in understanding that it's a 22 year old truck that someone has heavily modified. And by you description not done very good. He's unloading his headache to someone else. IMHO
I ended up going with a mostly stock version of the same truck. Has a lot of the maintenance stuff done and looks great. It's also a 5 speed which freaked me right out but I've gotten used to it pretty quick. Just a little squirmy to clutch at times cuz I'm only 5'1.

A few projects we're working on getting done (lift, rad support, box liner, and paint job). Doing the box liner and rad support ourselves, just ordered one from Napa in town and they assured me it was the right one (we'll see about that). If it's a gasser the lower part of the one I've got looks OK so we just might have to fab it up a bit. Want to get that job done before the lift to make sure she's solid. May replace the body bushings too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snowflake.jpg (24.3 KB, 12 views)
SparkyF250 likes this.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:40 PM
PSN intsigator

Nice looking truck, with all the work you plan on doing and places you gonna take her you should start a build thread with lots of pics so we can see what your doing and where you've gone.

It sounds like you gonna have a great time making her what you want and taking her on your outings

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:45 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
I ended up going with a mostly stock version of the same truck. Has a lot of the maintenance stuff done and looks great. It's also a 5 speed which freaked me right out but I've gotten used to it pretty quick. Just a little squirmy to clutch at times cuz I'm only 5'1.

A few projects we're working on getting done (lift, rad support, box liner, and paint job). Doing the box liner and rad support ourselves, just ordered one from Napa in town and they assured me it was the right one (we'll see about that). If it's a gasser the lower part of the one I've got looks OK so we just might have to fab it up a bit. Want to get that job done before the lift to make sure she's solid. May replace the body bushings too.
While you are doing the rad support ensure you replace the cab mounts bushings, the front fender/rad supports mounts/bushings will probably be rusted solid anyways and by the time you pull them apart you’ll be looking to replace the bits and pieces including bushings. I use the poly bushing cab mounts as they are more robust (MO) then stock rubber. Do an online search on how to pull the stock cab bushings apart, not a big deal if you make the tools, which is straight forward. Remember to use a quality anti-seize paste on all bolt threads for easy reassembly and rust protection.
Cheers on new rig.
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4” exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
).

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
While you are doing the rad support ensure you replace the cab mounts bushings, the front fender/rad supports mounts/bushings will probably be rusted solid anyways and by the time you pull them apart you’ll be looking to replace the bits and pieces including bushings. I use the poly bushing cab mounts as they are more robust (MO) then stock rubber. Do an online search on how to pull the stock cab bushings apart, not a big deal if you make the tools, which is straight forward. Remember to use a quality anti-seize paste on all bolt threads for easy reassembly and rust protection.
Cheers on new rig.
j
Thanks for the info! Yeah, the bushings up front (rad support bushings?) look really bad, cracked and hard (see pics). Are those poly bushings something NAPA or whatever auto store would be able to source out or do I need to go online and order them? Getting the rad support on Friday so I'd better source something out quick so we can get that job out of the way this weekend. Do I just need the cab mount bushings for up front, and then the rad support bushings? Will look into the tools I'll need. Hopefully nothing too expensive... Spent a lot on an angle grinder and wire wheel the other day to deal with the mess that is the rusty box floor. Got it stripped yesterday and I'm gonna coat the bare metal parts in POR15 when this rain goes away, then do a DIY bedliner.

Today I also ordered an RSK which should be here in 2-3 weeks, at which point we're having a mechanic in town who knows those trucks do a 7.5-8 in lift (4.5 in shackles with 3in lift superduty springs). We want to do that right. Dual shocks maybe?? Gonna run 37's on nice black rims we found on craigslist. Planning to have her painted in the meantime (shiny black)..

Lots of things coming up... Maybe a build thread is a good idea!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 10.14.17 PM.jpg (10.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 10.13.59 PM.jpg (9.9 KB, 13 views)
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:10 PM
PSN Veteran

I used Energy Suspension Poly Bushing Kit from Lordco, Napa should have it too. Kit includes bushings frame to cab mounts and front rad support. You might have to replace front rad support bolts as those typically are boogered from rust and wear. What differential gears you running? With a PMF or Sky 3.5” RSK, SD V Code (5200 lbs) fronts springs, with Stock rears with SD block will give lotsa lift for 37s (pending rim offset and tire width). 8” lift will get old soon.... MO. The above will give you about a 4-5” lift (not including tires), will ride nice and handling if you keep the anti sway bars on it too, just extend the vertical rods. To tighten up steering get a Borgeson mid steering shaft, and aftermarket steering box. I put air bags on the rear of my trucks then you’re always level. Lastly YouTube search cab bushing swap, it’s straight forward.
Cheers,
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4” exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
).

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:59 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Yeah, the bushings up front (rad support bushings?) look really bad, cracked and hard (see pics). Are those poly bushings something NAPA or whatever auto store would be able to source out or do I need to go online and order them? Getting the rad support on Friday so I'd better source something out quick so we can get that job out of the way this weekend. Do I just need the cab mount bushings for up front, and then the rad support bushings? Will look into the tools I'll need. Hopefully nothing too expensive... Spent a lot on an angle grinder and wire wheel the other day to deal with the mess that is the rusty box floor. Got it stripped yesterday and I'm gonna coat the bare metal parts in POR15 when this rain goes away, then do a DIY bedliner.

Today I also ordered an RSK which should be here in 2-3 weeks, at which point we're having a mechanic in town who knows those trucks do a 7.5-8 in lift (4.5 in shackles with 3in lift superduty springs). We want to do that right. Dual shocks maybe?? Gonna run 37's on nice black rims we found on craigslist. Planning to have her painted in the meantime (shiny black)..

Lots of things coming up... Maybe a build thread is a good idea!
POR15 is great stuff if you follow the directions. You must degrease and etch before use, and if you're doing the bed floor or any other parts that'll be exposed to the sun you'll have to paint over it. Bedliner will be OK for covering the floor. Also wear gloves and a mask, it sticks to everything including skin and the fumes are strong.

SparkyF250

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4
4" Flo-Pro, Edge CTS2 Pro
Blue Spring, IPR coolant filter
Toyo Open Country AT2's

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4
7.3, ZF6
Hydra, Edge CTS2
S&B Cold Air
4" SS Diamond Eye Exhaust

1991 F350 Single Cab Flatbed
7.3 IDI 5 Speed
Toyo Open Country AT2's
(project truck)
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
I used Energy Suspension Poly Bushing Kit from Lordco, Napa should have it too. Kit includes bushings frame to cab mounts and front rad support. You might have to replace front rad support bolts as those typically are boogered from rust and wear. What differential gears you running? With a PMF or Sky 3.5” RSK, SD V Code (5200 lbs) fronts springs, with Stock rears with SD block will give lotsa lift for 37s (pending rim offset and tire width). 8” lift will get old soon.... MO. The above will give you about a 4-5” lift (not including tires), will ride nice and handling if you keep the anti sway bars on it too, just extend the vertical rods. To tighten up steering get a Borgeson mid steering shaft, and aftermarket steering box. I put air bags on the rear of my trucks then you’re always level. Lastly YouTube search cab bushing swap, it’s straight forward.
Cheers,
j
Thanks for the info, will definitely look into that bushing kit.

I think the diff gears are whatever is stock. Should we switch the gearing so it rides better with 37s? I don't know whether we could run 37's with only 4-5 in. Truck seems to have close to that now with the 35s on it and they rub, there's some kind of add a leaf installed and it seems huge to me. The lift is kind of my boyfriend's thing really, I think it's pretty cool as it is now to be honest. He's insisting on 8in and after talking with the mechanic, I'm going for 7ish and just gonna tell him its 8 haha. Just doing levelling springs for a SD with the 4.5in shackle kit. We've had lifted trucks before, the cummins had 6" on 35s and our 6.0L F350 had 8" on 37s. The ride on those was great but they are newer.. Hoping it's not too bad. Truck has already got air bags installed so we're set there.

I'm going to put everything I'm doing to this truck over on my new build thread: https://www.powerstrokenation.com/fo...uck-build.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode