Coolant and oil smell in cab - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Coolant and oil smell in cab

Hello, 1995 F250 7.3 with 110k miles, zf5. Baby swamp injectors and Hydra tuner with AFE big boost air filter.

Just replaced the GPR a couple weeks ago. Now starting, puffs smoke for several minutes. Doesn't smell like oil, would this show I have glowplugs not working properly? Usually have some blue smoke at start up, this started a few weeks ago regularly. Could this be injector o rings?

I get an oil smell in the cab, also coolant sometimes. It's been using a small amount of coolant. Drove 300 miles and the reservoir dropped about an inch at cold level.

Also have an issue where the truck rough idles after going 65 to 70 on the highway for any extended time. Not all the time, RPMs don't change. I usually bump the accelerator a time or two and it's fine after. Sticking injector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:29 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Coolant and oil smell in cab

Does the oil look funky? How's the oil usage? Any fuel in the coolant? You may need to do a compression check and maybe have an oil analysis done to see if fuel and/or coolant is getting in the oil. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Coolant and oil smell in cab

Oil looks normal, though due for a change. It was using about a quart between changes but that has slowed since I fixed a broken hose. I plan to pull the fuel filter on Saturday to see what it looks like, just changed about 800 miles ago so we'll see if it has oil in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode