Baro Sensor - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Baro Sensor

Hey guys. Was trying out forscan and stumbled on something confusing.

I have had no CEL, and no driveability issues. 1997 F-250 7.3, E40D.

While checking codes I came up with a P0236. (Map out of range). So off to the PID's I go. Here is what I found.

KOEO-

MAP 81.5 kPa
MAP 102Hz
BARO 29.21 kPa
EBP 84.4kPa

Quick conversions tell me the map and exhaust pressure readings are real close to correct for my altitude, but the baro seems really low.

Am I on the right track? Seems like I'm in the market for a new baro sensor.

Seemed strange to me because I've had no problems, runs good, pulls good, no smoke, MPG's dropped a bit but I attribute that to winter warm ups. I cleared the code and it hasn't come back, but I haven't worked the truck, just cruising back and forth from the house.

Any ideas?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Also, upon finding the initial code, I checked the map sensor line, connection, and checked for manifold pressure leaks to be safe.

Last edited by Blue-Truck-Nut97; 03-19-2019 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:46 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Baro Sensor

The barometric pressure will fluctuate depending on if you are in a high or low pressure zone or if the pressures are raising or going down. If I remember right you said that you were around 6000' which would put the baro pressure at 81.22 kPa but if there is a low pressure area such as a storm where you are at it will be lower. That 81.22 kPa is just where they start measuring it for your altitude.

A good way to watch the pressure is to just watch the TV news and weather for your area. I am not sure if they still do it but they used to show the barometric pressure as a gauge for a weather change.

Now that I have you totally confused I wouldn't worry about it as long as the glow plug system is working alright. The baro sensor and the EOT is what tells them to come on and for how long.

I just looked at what the pressure was in my town on The Weather Channel and it shows 30.12 inches which is 103.1 kPa and if you look at the chart I should be 500' below sea level while I am sitting at +6500'

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Thanks! I like the stuff that doesn't need worried about.

I have a barometric pressure app, so that's what I was comparing it to. It also has an altimeter, your memory is great!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Could the baro also have anything to do with the MAP out of range code?

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:00 AM
PSN Veteran

Your 23.98 inHg is pretty close to being right on for 6000'

https://www.sablesys.com/support/tec...ltitude-table/

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:01 AM
PSN Veteran

I doubt that the baro has anything to do with the map sensor, two independent sensors.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ok, I didn't know if it relied on a baro reading to get a 'range' for the map sensor. I'm still learning how smart the computers in these things actually are.

I know pressure change has a noticable effect on a mechanical engine, but that's as far as my experience goes thus far.

So if the map code comes back any idea? I read a pile of other threads on the matter, but they seemed to have significant mpg loss and check engine lights.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 AM
PSN Veteran

If nothing else you could always just replace the map sensor.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ok thanks. Not really excited about spending money on a maybe, so I'll see if it comes back first. And be sure to check codes again next time it drags a load. I also read about "over boost" codes, but couldn't discern if it could throw the p0236, or if was only the p0238.

That came to mind because it hadn't really been opened up until recently, not abused just worked a little harder than normal.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:09 AM
PSN Veteran

As I recall the MAP sensor will get “confused” if the MAP sees boost over 22psi and will show an out of range code. When this happens the PCM defaults to stored linear fuel tables (not dynamic, based on MAP, because it’s out of range). Now pending mods you have on your rig this may reduce HP/torque output. A work around is to install a boost fooler (regulator in MAP line) such that MAP never sees over 20 psi. Other option if running tunes is have programer to account for MAP overboost. Incidentally on the SD version of engine over boost results in a de-fueling which guys assume happens with the OBS, which my understanding is not the case.

If you feel a loss in power or noticeably more smoke, unhook the Wiring harness from MAP so PCM reverts to linear tables and if it drives more normal might be MAP sensor is booogered. If running tunes check with vendor to see if program files have accounted for above 22 psi boost.
Cheers,
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4” exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode