runs rough (sometimes) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

runs rough (sometimes)

Hello all. I am new to the forum and hoping ya'll can help. I recently bought 96 f350 crew cab 2wd with 225k miles. At first the truck ran fine with the only issue being a sudden hesitation going thru the gears around 2500/2700 rpm. As I have continued to drive it is now starting to "miss". If on the interstate it struggles to do the speed limit. Sometimes I can shut if off for a few minutes and this will help for a short period of time. The engine starts fine and does not die. Occasionally the water in fuel light will flash on but does not stay on. I have changed and checked the filter. doesn't appear to be any water in the fuel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:26 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: runs rough (sometimes)

Does it have a chip in it? Has the Check Engine Light (CEL) illuminated? What's the fuel pressure t idle (you can measure it at the shrader valve on the drivers side of the fuel filter bowl)? Disconnect the Injection Pressure Control (ICP) sensor and see if there is oil inside the connection. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No check engine light and I have not checked fuel pressure. I have been looking for the ICP to check that connection but not exactly sure what i am looking for. New to diesels so I am learning as I go. I found a diagram that show general location but it is for 99.5 on up.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Forgot to mention where the ICP is! It's the sensor on the top inboard edge of the drivers side edge towards the front and points inward at a 45 degree angle. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I also forgot to mention no chip. As far as I know the truck is bone stock. Im going to look for it soon. I have read that if oil is present in the plug the ICP is either bad or going bad and you can unplug it and it should run better. Do you know if this correct?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok, so after locating the ICP and removing the plug it was filled with oil. I cleaned with contact cleaner and reinstalled. It ran decent for a few miles and the starting missing again. I unplugged the ICP and that seemed to help some. Plugged it back up and this time would just barely run under load. I do believe this may the culprit. Is there anything that could be failing in conjunction with this sensor that should also be checked?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode