Engine stalls when in gear with acceleration - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Engine stalls when in gear with acceleration

I'm new. yea. I have a 1996 Thomas 3800 international with a T444E motor (7.3). First had a no start. Changed IPR, ICP no help. unplugged CPS pigtail plugged back in and it hard started. yea. went to drive and shut down on acceleration. Replaced CPS. same condition. Checked fuel pressure 10psi at idle but no hard start. Changed mechanical lift fuel pump and now have 30psi. of course changed all hoses with new clamps, clean fuel bowl and fuel pressure relief screen and assembly. Still stalls in gear with acceleration. I can not read any codes. What unsafe signal will kill the motor in gear. I was told it may be water temp sensor reading over heated. Im stuck. That sensor is in the front and can not reach it with out dissembling front end. I also thought of dropping fuel tank but that is no easy matter either. I believe I need 70psi fuel pressure. What would the experts do first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Engine stalls when in gear with acceleration

Oh, it will rev fine in neutral. fuel pressure stays at 30 psi. When geared and motor stops, fuel pressure still at 30 psi.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It almost seems that when the torgue converter locks is when it stalls.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:16 AM
PSN Veteran

On a Ford PSD, you should get a minimum of 25 psi fuel pressure when cranking (minimum 100 rpm crank speed). You should also get at least 40 psi at idle. Maybe check the fuel pressure regulator to see if something might be keeping it hanging open and losing pressure. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode