My latest project is to replace the turbo pedestal o-rings, in doing so I decided to delete the EBPV
as well as gut the outlet flange and ended up using a 3/4" freeze plug, it went in all right, but I have read opposing views that 20mm would be better. We'll see how the freeze plug works out.
To be fair to any future OBS
7.3 owners the turbo collector nuts can be a pain to get to, there's not much room and swivel sockets and crow foot attachments are necessary to the Average-Joe that does not fab up special tools.
Here's where the rabbit hole begins. After pulling the turbo, the collector is fairly loose on the up-pipes, and of course there is a little soot on the upper up-pipe. To everyone's advice, I soaked the bolts that I have access to, I don't know how anyone is soaking the rear up-pipe to collector bolts because there is absolutely no access to them. I started on the front passenger up pipe bolt as that one was closest and I wanted to get an idea of how badly they were seized in there.
The bolt broke free with a substantial amount of force for such a small bolt as much exhaust bolts do, after several turns there was a little resistance and with another forceful turn the bolt sheared off. I'm having a hard time understanding the resistance it was fighting if it was turning out just fine, granted with a lot of force. In any case, I'm not sure how much bolt is left, the amount that sheared off was roughly an inch long.
Without a lot of experience with this type of work, I cannot visualize the relationship between the bottom flange and the flange that it bolts to.
With part of the bolt broken in the upper portion what are my option going forward? I know I should have just gotten new up pipes, but I had just placed an order prior, and it looks like the bellowed pipes are about $400 from Clay at Riff Raff diesel. That is pretty steep for me right now, and I opted to get the oversized gaskets to try and help seal it as good as possible for the time being.
After doing the turbo removal once, and with a bunch of anti-seize on the bolts and studs along with a deleted pedestal, I am not too scared to have to do it again as it should come out much easier the second go around. the up-pipes however look to be an absolute nightmare as far as access to the upper bolts, especially the driver side.
I've been searching high and low all of the the forums and am still a little dumbfounded how people are reaching the upper bolts. I read that a couple feet of 1/4" extensions will be low profile enough to sneak through and reach the upper bolts, but how can the 1/4" be strong enough to break these seized bolts free. Rust ins't a huge issue for this California truck, just access at this point. I'm probably being a sissy about the whole process, but man what a pain in the tuckus this is.
As a side note, The turbo shaft has no play in and out and almost none side to side. It does appear at one point something foreign made its way through the intake as there is slight deformation of the outer edges of the compressor wheel. This is my first turbo and diesel and learning what is normal and what is not has taken countless hours of reading on these forums and I'm still just starting to get the hang of it.
Thank you all for your time and I hope I can contribute to these forums at one point to help some of you as much as you have helped me.
I might have to add the photos to an external website and post the link as the photo size that the forum resizes to is pretty much useless
97 7.3 4x4
Riff Raff intake
Deleted Pedestal and EBPV