95 Powerstroke? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

95 Powerstroke?

Hi all, I am new to the site. I need some help. I just bought a 95 F250 Powerstroke. It has 237,000 miles on it. I bought the truck from a high school kid who had attempted some repairs himself. Not bashing him for trying wish more kids would do that. Here is some problems I am having with the truck. When I bought it the ad said it wouldn't start. After looking at the truck I learned that it recently had new glow plugs installed, engine oil changed coolant flushed and replaced and the O-rings in the oil cooler changed. He also spliced in new pig tails for the injectors. After all this work the truck would not start. I got it to fire up but it ran like crap it had oil pressure till I rived it up then the oil pressure dropped off it ran a few more seconds and died. I checked the Hpop reservoir and it was empty. Filled it back up and the truck started at about 5 degrees F not plugged in pretty impressive I think.The truck was idling rough but running. I stepped on the throttle again oil pressure instantly went to 0. I shut the truck off, checked the oil in the Hpop, it was black not fresh oil that I filled it with. So I know that it is at least pumping oil to some degree. I started the truck back up oil pressure gauge stayed on 0 the truck continued to run worse and worse for 20-30 seconds and died. I checked the oil in the Hpop bone dry. My question is, could this thing be popping the oil bypass down by the oil filter? Or could he have done something to the oil cooler to have caused this when he was replacing the o ring and gaskets? Next thing, there is antifreeze that runs out of the front of the engine, can't really tell where it is coming from. It looks like it is coming out right behind the harmonic balancer but I can't imagine there would be antifreeze that low and it only does it when it is cranking or running. It leaks a good stream when running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:51 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 95 Powerstroke?

Ken,
I think the leaking antifreeze could be from the rebuild on the oil cooler. Check on the drivers side the long tube, especially at each end. If the PO didn’t use Ford parts this could be your leak, for oil pressure (internally inside the end caps on the cooler) and external front end cap for antifreeze. What I’d do is plug it in overnight. Then when warm, undo the oil drain plug just a little to see if you get antifreeze from the pan. If no antifreeze in oil pan then, check for leaks at each end of cooler externally. I’d also check the antifreeze overflow tank to see if you have any oil in there as this can be a sign of leaking oil cooler, more likely antifreeze will migrate to oil pan but you never know.

These engines can take a while to fire up when down for a while, at issue here is if the oil cooler is leaking antifreeze into the oil that’s obviously a bad thing as it’ll not only pollute bearing etc, but injectors too.

j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4” exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:10 AM
PSN Veteran

On a 95, when the previous owner did the oil cooler, he could have lost the parts of the lube oil pressure regulator valve. The valve is located on the backside (blockside) of the oil filter/oil cooler header adapter. The earlier trucks had the oil filter bypass valve (under the oil filter in the adapter) and the aforementioned pressure regulator valve staked in place. It's easy to lose the pressure regulator parts if you're not paying attention. If they are not there, the truck will not be able to maintain enough oil pressure to keep the high pressure oil system going to fire injectors. Cheers!
JCart and HilhavenFarm like this.

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks guys. Looks like I am going into the oil cooler. It has great oil pressure when first started gauge is over midway then when it drops off it drops off fast. I would think it lost connection on the oil pressure censer it goes from over midway to nothing instantly but the Hpop res. drains out. So i am thinking the pressure regulator it sticking open. What do you think? I don't think my block heater is working I plugged it in this morning after 2hrs there was still frost on the oil cooler right where the block heater is.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:58 PM
PSN Veteran

You should be able to hear the block heater when on, should sound like a kettle just before boiling.

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4” exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
).

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:01 PM
PSN Veteran

I never have heard my block heater when it is on.

I don't use it that much but have never heard it when I have used it.

I usually tell that it is working by the spark I get when I unplug the extension cord.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok update don't know if its useful info or not. Went out tonight it took some cranking but she fired up (its around 0 here) I let idle till it lost oil pressure again about 2 minutes or so. The coolant is coming from the front of the oil cooler its leaking between the cooler and block. It seems as though its running better and better it sounded pretty good just idling. I am hoping to find the oil pressure problem when I open up the cooler.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Oh one more thing the block heater is DOA I couldn't find my ohms meter so I tested it a bit unconventionally I unplugged the cord from the block heater hooked my battery charger up to the plug prongs on the cord then used a test light on the other end it lit up the cord is good so the heater itself must be bad.

Thanks again Guys I really appreciate the help.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:49 AM
PSN Veteran

The heaters themselves very seldom go bad. It is just a loop of metal, nothing to really burn out if you looked at the size of it. About the only thing that could go bad on it would be the short piece of wire from the plug to the loop.

But when you pull the oil cooler you can also pull the heating element and see for yourself.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:48 PM
PSN Newb

When you talk about the oil pressure are you referring to the gauge on the dash? Because that is just a simple works or doesn’t, it doesn’t actually display the oil pressure. Also there’s trucks have two oil pressure’s, the oil pressure in the high oil pressure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode