Rough idle,tach,tranny - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
gettin there

Rough idle,tach,tranny

Long time since I’ve posted and I’ve searched everywhere for some answers to my issue but nothing has come up addressing all 3 issues I see. Im pretty sure they must all be related somehow as well.
Haven’t driven my truck for quite a while due to having company vehicle and an idi van for the family. Went to use it the other day and it started fine but then developed a really rough idle and CEL pops on. Well I turned it off and let it sit until today because I haven’t had the time to deal with it. Started it again and same thing. Let it run for a minute and it smoothed out and cel went off. Pulled it around front and proceeded to drive down the street to get everything moving. About 200 yards later it idles rough again with absolute crap power and tranny won’t shift up. O/D light blinking as well. Gave it a sec and it went away. Proceeded to turn it around and drive home and it happened again. Also noticed after it runs for 10 minutes it doesn’t go back to rough idle unless I drive it. And the tach is jumping intermittently from 0-1000 not in tune with the engine.
I unplugged the IPR ( I think that’s what it’s called) and noticed a different idle but it wasn’t anything like the idle i was experiencing upon start up, almost as if half the cylinders weren’t firing. I’m hoping this is just some sensor or connection. I can prob have the stored codes read by my mechanic but I really didn’t want to have it towed there if it’s something I can address by myself with help from the internet.
Thanks!

97 f-350xlt sclb
Dp - 4" diamond eye straight pipe
Ts 6pos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
gettin there

97 obs e40d

97 f-350xlt sclb
Ts 6pos
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:06 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Rough idle,tach,tranny

It could be many things, but have a good look at all the Valvecover harness connections for evidence of melting/burning. Maybe take the oil cap off and take a sniff. Does it smell like burned electrical insulation? Maybe remove the IDM (silver box below the drivers hood hinge) and see if there might be water sloshing around in it. You can always try a new CPS (OEM only!) and see if that helps (if it doesn't you have a spare for the glovebox). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
gettin there

Thanks for reply. Nothing obvious sticks out to me. The harness looks good overall albeit a little dirty. Do you think that the harness issue or an injector solenoid issue would link to tach and tranny? And I know everything was running great when I parked it. But that was a couple months ago. I suppose an animal could have chewed something but there’s no squirrels living in it or any signs of that. As far as cps, if that was bad the truck wouldn’t start at all right?

97 f-350xlt sclb
Ts 6pos
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
gettin there

Maybe next step besides towing it to mechanic to look up the stored codes would be to pop the valve cover off and look at the wiring if that can be linked to tach and tranny

97 f-350xlt sclb
Ts 6pos
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 PM
alleged moderator

there is a way to do self diagnostics on the 94.5 and newer powerstroke without a scanner, but i don't know how to do it.
you can also download torque pro app or forscan, and with an obd adapter run all kinds of diagnostics from a stupid phone, or laptop computer.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
gettin there

I just looked for adapters on amazon. They have Bluetooth ones that don’t even need a cord. I guess the software I use will determine if I will be able to read the stored codes. I thought I read that the basic scanners from autozone or wherever aren’t advanced enough to read them?

97 f-350xlt sclb
Ts 6pos
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:42 AM
PSN Veteran

The AZ scanners won't read the codes. The smell test I mentioned would tell you if the under-VC harnesses might have burned. Also disconnect the VC connectors to look for burned pins or oil in the connections if you haven't already done so. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
gettin there

I have a forscan compatable adapter on the way from amazon. Will have these codes read in no time. Thanks for the insights folks

97 f-350xlt sclb
Ts 6pos
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:48 PM
alleged moderator

download torque pro also. it is a lot easier to use than forscan for reading and clearing codes

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode