Hi all!! Quite a head scratcher - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hi all!! Quite a head scratcher

I let a company here put a 99 7.3 in my 96 powerstroke! All seems to go pretty well besides it keeps going through belts, like 1 a month or so! Its using the old 96 brackets on the 99 engine! I had asked swamps about it and they informed me that you had to use a 96 water pump on the 99 engine to keep the belt on the engine! I just looked at both pumps side by side and i couldnt figure out any differences that swamps was referring too! They also said if you put a 96 pump on then if the belt still keeps burning up then the company that put my engine in royally screwed something up! I told the company that put my engine in about the belts burning up but they are denying it... I have already tried a tensioner and no luck! Any help would be fantastic 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Hi all!! Quite a head scratcher

The water pumps carry different part numbers so there is a difference. The belt pulley might stick out just a bit further on one or the other which will cause a problem with the belt.

Get a long flat edge and place it across the pulleys and see if you can see a difference in the alignment.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:54 PM
PSN Veteran

What Bugman said, Id also take my phone and shoot video in normal speed and slow motion to see if you can tell where the problem is. Might show unusual belt deflection /wearing. What side of the belt is wearing the most and is it always same side?

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 03:07 PM
don't play well w others

Look at the belt, you should be able to see what side it's wearing on.
Look at the front of the motor for belt grindings, you will see what is out of line.
The above are great ideas as well

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The belt doesnt come off until there are only 3 or less ribs then it gets all loose n floppy and gets wedged in the fan! Everytime the belt starts working its way off its the farthest pulley on the passenger side! It goes towards the engine and rubs on it till the belt starts loosing ribs! I have noticed it burns up quicker if i keep my foot in it vs putting around
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:38 PM
don't play well w others

Which pully has the most room on the opposite side of the rest of them when the belt gets like that?
What is the pulley on?

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I am confused on your first question but the second question is its just a stand alone pulley on the far passenger side
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:09 PM
alleged moderator

the pulley it jumps off is usually not the one causing the problem.
it is usually the one just before it in rotation. if the pulley is even 1/16 inch off, that is enough to start the belt from running off on the next pulley.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:23 PM
PSN Veteran

rib count is different
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:49 PM
don't play well w others

You found your problem

Charlie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode