97 f250 no start (IPR not changing) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Unhappy 97 f250 no start (IPR not changing)

I have a 2006 and 97 powerstroke. (6.0l and 7.3l) - the one I'm fighting with is the 97...7.3l. I have gone through the whole High pressure oil system on my 06 (due to leak at pump and stand pipes), so I have learned a lot about what it takes to fire these injectors. I have never come across what I am with the 97. In using the scantool, there is 1 code p0340. I have already replaced the cam sensor with a factory cam sensor, but I am still getting this code after clearing, and then cranking again. No other codes present. My scantool is very limited on live data for the fuel injection system. I can no check FICM SYN...FICM POWER etc etc. I CAN see the IPR% and it never changes when cranking. always 15%. I know that it should go up to somewhere in the 30-85 range (hopefully not 85) while starting and then should rest somewhere in the 20-30% range while running (if no high pressure oil leaks). My truck cranks but will not start. I am looking for some assistance in resolving why my IPR is not changing. I have come across wiring issues online, but very vague information that doesn't seem to match my truck. I have very limited wiring access to a schematic so this has made it challenging as well. Anyone seen this and want to send me in the right direction???

what I have done so far:
*replace IPR connector as it was melting.
*install Known good IPR and ICP - no change
*unplugged ICP and cranked - no change
*looked on scan tool and saw IPR not changing...

What is confusing is that I have seen videos of people using an old IPR connector and making their own jumper to "close" the IPR for oil leak diagnosis. I was thinking of trying this just to see if the truck would fire. I tested for voltage at the IPR and both wires have power???I was under the impression that it was just power and ground - could use some clarification here as well.

Thank You in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:12 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 97 f250 no start (IPR not changing)

As far as the power and ground, the PCM will provide the ground on the Yellow/Red stripe wire (pin 83 on the PCM). I know my 94's PCM was faulty and not providing the ground. It also gave a P1283 code for IPR power fault. I've attached the IPR Introduction and pinpoint tests for the IPR Power Circuit. I wouldn't replace the PCM if you get to that point in the procedure if you are not getting that code. The tests are a good way to check all the wiring though. Also, do you know if your truck is a 49-state (federal, single shot injectors, no glowplug monitoring circuits or shunt on the GPR) truck or a California truck (splitshot injectors, glowplug monitoring circuits and shunt on the GPR, pulse damper on the fuel pump)? I didn't post the PCM connectors pinout, but can once I know which model you have (they are different). Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IPR Introduction.pdf (390.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf P1283 IPR Power Pinpoint Tests.pdf (302.5 KB, 5 views)

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:24 AM
PSN Veteran

Just thinking out loud here, the p0340 code is for the cam sensor fault right? And if that code comes back while cranking, it means for whatever reason the PCM doesn't read the cam sensor? So if there is still a problem with the cam sensor or wiring too it, would the PCM not be changing the IPR duty cycle because it didn't realize the engine was turning over? Just spittin in the wind here, but it made sense to me.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 AM
PSN Veteran

Here is the text version for P0340:

Quote:
G: Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor

G1 CLEAR AND ATTEMPT TO REGENERATE DTC P0344, P0341 OR P0340
Plug in NGS Tester. Clear Continuous Memory DTCs with NGS Tester. Crank engine while monitoring RPM PID. Does PID indicate crank RPM?

Yes: GO to G2
No: GO to G3

G2 RETRIEVE/CLEAR CONTINUOUS DTCs
Warm up engine to normal operating temperature. Increase rpm to 3300 rpm for 2 minutes. Key off. Perform Retrieve/Clear Continuous DTCs. Are DTC P0344 or P0341 present?

Yes: GO to G3
No: Fault is intermittent. GO to G12

G3 CHECK CMP SIGNAL RETURN CIRCUIT 796 (LB)
Unplug CMP sensor. Key off. Measure resistance between Pin A on the CMP connector and chassis ground. Is resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes: Ground is OK. GO to G4
No: GO to G9

G4 CHECK CMP CIRCUIT 351 (BR/W) FOR VREF
CMP sensor unplugged. Key on. Measure voltage between harness connector Pin B and chassis ground. Is 5 volts ± 0.5 volts present?

Yes: Circuit 351 (BR/W) is OK. GO to G5
No: SERVICE VREF circuitry. GO to B1

G5 CHECK CMP CIRCUIT 795 (DG) FOR B+
CMP sensor unplugged. Key on. Measure voltage between harness connector Pin C and chassis ground. Is B+ present?

Yes: GO to G6
No: Circuit 795 (DG) is shorted or open. GO to G7

G6 CHECK CMP CIRCUIT 795 (DG) FOR SHORT TO B+
CMP sensor unplugged. Key off. Unplug PCM. Inspect 104 pin connector and repair if required. Key on. Measure voltage between harness connector Pin C and chassis ground. Is B+ present?

Yes: SERVICE short to B+ in Circuit 795 (DG). REASSEMBLE system. CONFIRM fix with NGS Tester PID RPM and by repeating G1 and G2.
No: Circuit 795 (DG) is OK. REPLACE CMP sensor.

G7 CHECK CIRCUIT 795 (DG) FOR SHORT TO GROUND
CMP sensor unplugged. Key off. Unplug PCM. Inspect 104 pin connector and repair if required. Key on. Measure resistance between connector point C and chassis ground. Is resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes: SERVICE short to ground in Circuit 795 (DG). REASSEMBLE system. CONFIRM fix with NGS Tester PID RPM and by repeating G1 and G2
No: GO to G8

G8 CHECK CIRCUIT 795 (DG) FOR OPEN
CMP sensor unplugged. PCM unplugged. Key off. Install breakout box. Leave PCM disconnected. Key on. Measure resistance between harness connector Pin C and breakout box Pin 49 (49 State except Econoline) or Pin 21 (California and all Econoline). Is resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes: Open is at PCM Pin 49. INSPECT PCM connector and PCM pins. SERVICE as necessary. REASSEMBLE system. GO to G11
No: REPAIR open in Circuit 795 (DG). REASSEMBLE system. CONFIRM fix with NGS Tester PID RPM and by repeating G1 and G2.

G9 CHECK FOR OPEN IN CMP GROUND CIRCUIT 796 (LB)
CMP sensor unplugged. Key off. Unplug PCM. Inspect 104-pin connector and PCM pins. Service as required. Leave PCM disconnected. Measure resistance between PCM Test Pin 65 and harness connector Pin A. Is resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes: Circuit 796 (LB) is OK. GO to G10
No: SERVICE open in Circuit 796 (LB). REASSEMBLE system. CONFIRM fix with NGS Tester PID RPM and by repeating G1 and G2

G10 CHECK FOR CMP GROUND THROUGH PCM
CMP unplugged. Breakout box attached. Key off. Connect PCM to breakout box. Measure resistance between PCM Test Pins 25, 51, 76, 77 and 103 and ground. Is resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes: PCM internal ground not supplied to Pin 65. REASSEMBLE system. GO to G11
No: REPAIR open in Circuit 570 (BK/W) and Circuit 57 (BK) as required. REASSEMBLE system. CONFIRM fix with NGS Tester PID RPM and by repeating G1 and G2.

G11 CONFIRM PCM FAULT
Rerun G1 and G2. Are faults still present?

Yes: REPLACE PCM and RERUN
No: System is OK

G12 FIND INTERMITTENT
Key off. Unplug PCM. Inspect 104-pin connector and PCM pins. Service as required. Install breakout box. Connect PCM to breakout box. Unplug the IDM relay in the engine compartment power distribution box to prevent engine from starting. Connect digital multimeter test leads between breakout box Test Pins 49 (49 State except Econoline) or Pin 21 (California and all Econoline) and Pin 65. Key on, engine off. Rotate engine by hand until voltage toggles from B+ to between 0.3 and 2.7 volts. Did lower voltage toggle fall between 0.3 and 2.8 volts?

Yes: GO to G13
No: GO to G3

G13 CHECK HARNESSES FOR INTERMITTENT
Breakout box installed. PCM attached to breakout box. IDM relay unplugged. Connect digital multimeter test leads between breakout box Test Pins 49 (49 State except Econoline) or Pin 21 (California and all Econoline) and Pin 65. Rotate engine by hand until voltage stays at lower toggle of between 0.3 and 2.7 volts. Wiggle harnesses and watch for voltage jump to B+ or 0.0 volts. Did voltage jump to B+ or 0.0 volts?

Yes: DETERMINE source of intermittent and REPAIR. CONFIRM fix with NGS PID RPM and by rerunning G1 and G2
No: Intermittent not found. REASSEMBLE system using dielectric grease. CHECK with NGS Tester PID RPM and by rerunning G1 and G2
Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode