VinBiesel. Ever have one of those electrical problems? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Unhappy VinBiesel. Ever have one of those electrical problems?

The problem did not start with the original steering column breakdown. The bearing became loose, or "Wobbly" but everyone that I checked with said you should have no problem in your steering, I delivered a trailer before the Holidays and went home to swap out the column with a 96 F-250 7.3 equipment. (I currently drive a 97 7.3.) The problem that I encountered on the way home is, I cannot shut my vehicle down...and the battery light flickers, ABS light comes and goes, inside dash passenger signal will stop working, and then start working, (when the blinker light goes out, this includes hazard lights too, the outside lights work), The ignition tumblers will not shut the vehicle off, I have to stall it and disconnect the battery or else they will drain. I boght a new ignition switch with key, and checked all connections and everything worked for 3 startups and shutdowns The 4th shut down failed. Last night I spent some time at a friends and did more trouble shooting, and when I went to hook the battery back up, it sparked and I heard some clicking. I checked the cab, and saw that the key was in the accessory position. I put in "off" hooked up battery ... and the truck started and shut down perfectly........ONE TIME. I've heard a few mechanics and "backyard ones too express that they have seen strange anomalies take place when the multi-function turn signal switch goes bad. I'm getting a knew one tomorrow as I know the switch I have makes loose or no connections upon using it for right turns. Any help will be appreciated and passed on. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:12 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: VinBiesel. Ever have one of those electrical problems?

Sounds more like a issue with the plastic "rod" that runs from the tumbler to the switch.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Not familiar with plastic rod on tumbler. Do you think it could be in the housing. Rod not long enough. I purchased it from O'rielly. Should I go Ford OEM . Thanks 79jasper

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:56 PM
PSN Veteran

In the housing.
"Ignition actuator rod."

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:25 PM
don't play well w others

Switch isn't the key, it's a switch on top of the column
the key drives the rod jasper is talking about

Could be 2 problems
1 switch is bad
2 switch is loose, and moving when you turn the key
Drop the column back down and have a look

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode