95 powerstroke no power and white smoke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

95 powerstroke no power and white smoke

okay guys so here is the deal, a few weeks ago I picked up a 95 f350 with the 7.3 diesel. I am new to owning a diesel and kinda lost. It fires up very well but from what I can tell it is not firing on the front 2 cylinders on the passenger side. I have tested all the wires in the valve cover harness and they have power and when I check for resistance I cant seem to find any indicating that the wires are good.. I think. i have replaced those injectors and no change. it doesn't make very good power and i am at a loss. i have been under the hood all day and tested everything i can think of but cant find the problem. i am trying to avoid going to the dealership as they want about 120 dollars an hour and i cant afford to do that. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and checked out to the best of my abilities. i apologize in advance for any dumbing down that your suggestions may require
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:08 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 95 powerstroke no power and white smoke

Welcome!

Here are some tests you can do (and you may have already done some of them). Make sure that your DVOM is set to the correct scale for each tests (based on the resistance you should see).

For checking the injector/glowplug wiring: From each valvecover gasket connection's outermost pins (2 per connector) to ground you should get 0.1 to 2 ohms (indicates good plug and wiring). From each valvecover gasket connection's center pin to each immediately adjacent pin, you should get around 3 ohms (indicates good injector solenoid and wiring). You should not get any continuity from any of the outer pins to the 3 inner pins (indicates no shorts between injector and glowplug wiring). You should also get 0 to 1 ohms from each of the external harness connectors outer pins back to the Glowplug Relay's large terminal on the GP side (indicates good wiring from external connections back to the relay).

To check the glowplug relay (GPR), measure the voltage drop across the GPR's large terminals. While the GPR is active (up to 1.5 to 2 minutes after the key is turned to Wait-to-Start) put your meter leads on the large terminals (one lead on one large terminal and the other lead on the other large terminal). The measures how much voltage is being "lost" across the relay. A reading of 0.3V or more indicates a bad relay. Also, check the relay’s control wires (smaller wires) disconnected from the relay for battery voltage at the Red/Light Green striped wire and ground at the Purple/Orange striped wire (check both when the key is turned to Wait-to-Start).

Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you! I will do some more tests tomorrow evening

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

well no solution yet... was worried it might be head gaskets so rented a block tester and got nothing. truck now has an overheating problem. heater never even gets warm, like to coolant goes from cool to boiling. has new thermostat and replaced the water pump yesterday... getting expensive.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 04:27 PM
PSN Newb

did you check the thermostat in a pan of boiling water before you put it in? I have had a bunch over the years that have been bad out of the box. So I always check them before installing

1995 f350 cclb drw 2wd 7.3 auto, diy e-fuel, rosewood 180/80 injectors, dieselsite wicked ball bearing turbo 66/94, dieselsite bellowed uppipes, adrenaline hpop, mishimoto radiator and hoses, banks turbo kit, S&B intake, 6.0 fan, derale trans cooler
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:01 PM
PSN Newb

Have you only tested your UVCH,s While they are installed. I got some bad ones a couple years ago that went out 10 miles after I installed them. But test after test after test I was getting good continuity and good resistance. After finally pulling the valve covers and inspecting them visually I discovered it, even though they were brand new, the wires and already cracked and wor while they are installed. I got some bad ones a couple years ago that went out 10 miles after I installed them. But test after test after test I was getting good continuity and good resistance. After finally pulling the valve covers and inspecting them visually I discovered it, even though they were brand new, the wires are already cracked and we’re arcing thus causing a short. A new set of wires and the quarter trick Fixed me right up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode