97 No Start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

97 No Start

97 non California truck all stock, 168k. Was running bad, then quit running all together. Buddy hooked up his magic tablet and found 125 psi oil while cranking, unplugging ICP had no effect. Replaced IPR, truck fired right up and ran very well. Shut it off and immediately had to crank excessively to start. Eventually it started then died at idle and would not re-start. Now hi pressure oil is at 55 psi while cranking. Cleaned new IPR, re installed, and won't start. Unplugged ICP and it ran well. Drove it 20 miles or so, shut it off, and 2 hours later it wouldnt start again-clearly not making any high oil pressure again. Pulled IP R and cleaned it and still won't start.

Engine oil is cleAn and full, have lube oil pressure while cranking
HPOP is full to top
New Motorcraft CPS, have tach signal while cranking
New fuel bowl wiring harness
New EOT sensor and pigtail
New ICP pigtail
UVCH look like New externally

Hoping to get some ideas on this as I really want to avoid taking it to a shop if I can. I'm a competent mechanic, but have little experience diagnosing an engine like this

97 F250 XLT Supercab LB 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 97 No Start

What I would first do is double check that the electric plug that goes onto the IPR is clean and in good shape. There is an o ring in that plug so make sure it has not fallen inside the connection. Also check the harness wires that go into the IPR plug, over time Iíve had the insulation degrade and short at that location. Also ensure the tin nut is snug on the rear of the IPR.

At issue it appears you have low High Pressure oil, this can be caused by the electrical system (I.e., IPR signal) and/or a leak some where in the HPO system, like an injector, failing HPOP.

As you may know you need 500 psi high pressure oil to injectors to fire the truck up. Youíve entrained air into the high pressure system through changing out the IPR and itíll take a little while for it to work out of the system. Not surprising it may have taken an extended crank to fire up, especially if you didnít top up the HPOP reservoir after IPR change/cleanings. Was there debris on the IPR?

Is the fuel filter media black, like saturated with diluted engine oil, this can be an indication that injector o-ring(s) have failed leaking HP oil.

If it were me Iíd double check the electrical system as noted above, because 168k seems somewhat low mileage for HPOP or injectors (o rings) to be going out. Next I would probably purchase a few high pressure oil fittings, couple rail plugs, 3 ft of high pressure hose and a quality liquid gauge that reads to 4000 psi. You can then isolate the high pressure oil pump, each high pressure oil rail to determine if you have a leak in the system. Do a search on here for greater details.
Let us know how you make out with the electrical connections.
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4Ē exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
What I would first do is double check that the electric plug that goes onto the IPR is clean and in good shape. There is an o ring in that plug so make sure it has not fallen inside the connection. Also check the harness wires that go into the IPR plug, over time Iíve had the insulation degrade and short at that location. Also ensure the tin nut is snug on the rear of the IPR.

At issue it appears you have low High Pressure oil, this can be caused by the electrical system (I.e., IPR signal) and/or a leak some where in the HPO system, like an injector, failing HPOP.

As you may know you need 500 psi high pressure oil to injectors to fire the truck up. Youíve entrained air into the high pressure system through changing out the IPR and itíll take a little while for it to work out of the system. Not surprising it may have taken an extended crank to fire up, especially if you didnít top up the HPOP reservoir after IPR change/cleanings. Was there debris on the IPR?

Is the fuel filter media black, like saturated with diluted engine oil, this can be an indication that injector o-ring(s) have failed leaking HP oil.

If it were me Iíd double check the electrical system as noted above, because 168k seems somewhat low mileage for HPOP or injectors (o rings) to be going out. Next I would probably purchase a few high pressure oil fittings, couple rail plugs, 3 ft of high pressure hose and a quality liquid gauge that reads to 4000 psi. You can then isolate the high pressure oil pump, each high pressure oil rail to determine if you have a leak in the system. Do a search on here for greater details.
Let us know how you make out with the electrical connections.
j
IPR wiring is new to the plug at the fuel bowl and in good shape. I cleaned the plug for good measure. Tin nut is tight.

Fuel filter shows no signs of oil in the system.

Filled HPOP with oil after reinstalling IPR, confirmed it's still full after cranking.

No noticeable signs of debris in IPR when I cleaned it either time. The slug took some coaxing to get out, but probably just sticking from the oil. Rattles free after reassembling.

I think ill unplug the harness at the fuel bowl and look for issues then crank some more to see if I can build some hi pressure oil. I've probably already cranked a minute total over several cycles. If that doesn't work, it looks like ill need to buy a rig to pressure test the hi pressure oil system like you mentioned.

97 F250 XLT Supercab LB 4X4

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:52 AM
PSN Veteran

I may have interpreted your post incorrectly, but if you disconnect the harness at the fuel bowl (IPR wiring is part of that), you won't build pressure. The IPR when unplugged will dump the oil back to the oil pan. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:47 AM
PSN Veteran

Hey Pumpkinr reread your original post, sorry missed (and forgot too) the new fuel canister harness includes the IPR plug. Question, after driving for 20 min with ICP unplugged, you parked it for 2 hours then would not fire up. Even (presumably) you unplugged the ICP again, or left unplugged? And no diagnostic trouble codes came up when scanned?

When you look inside the ICP connection plug you shouldn’t see any oil or oil residue, sometimes the ICP sensor will leak and go faulty. By unplugging (ICP) the Power Control Module reverts to stored oil pressure tables and by passes “live” pressure inputs by the ICP I think. Again with the relatively low mileage on your rig I’m tending (and could be way wrong) that this (low oil pressure no start), is an electric signal fault, short, poor connection and not a materials e.g., injector O ring, HPOP failure.
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4Ē exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
).

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Last edited by JCart; 01-30-2019 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Spelling of course...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode