Oil cooler orings - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Oil cooler orings

Do I have to drain the oil pan to do the oil cooler orings? I just had the oil changed and would prefer to not drain the pan if I don’t have to. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:52 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Oil cooler orings

Yep. And coolant.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:51 PM
PSN Veteran

When you pull the cooler off an amount of coolant can get into oil pan, so drain both oil and antifreeze. I will usually leave the oil pan plug out and/or drain again prior to filling fluids back up. Be careful when bolting up the front of cooler to engine block. The front of the block is cast aluminum (front cover), if overtightened you can strip and or crack the aluminum front cover. Repair for that is pulling engine and replacing front cover. Lastly I use a flat nylon strap to clock and hold the cooler together once I get the end caps on (you can use a larger ratchet strap to pull ends on too). I leave nylon strap on until I get the cooler loosely fitted on the block (with all bolts and block to cooler gaskets in place), then snug down, remove strap for final torque of bolts.
cheers,
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4Ē exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the great info. I’m having trouble fitting the cooler back into place. I feel like I’m going to need to try and bolt the front of the cooler to the engine block and then shove the rest inside. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy easily put it back in. Must be a little tighter on these 2wd f350’s
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccellis99 View Post
Thanks for the great info. Iím having trouble fitting the cooler back into place. I feel like Iím going to need to try and bolt the front of the cooler to the engine block and then shove the rest inside. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy easily put it back in. Must be a little tighter on these 2wd f350ís
Have not rebuilt one on a 4x2 and yes it can be a challenge, thatís why I suggested the nylon strap. I use a 1Ē wide strap with a slip buckle on it. Create a loop in the strap and place it over the ends of the cooler (once assembled) and pull it tight, in effect the cooler and ends are held inside the loop. The strap will hold the ends on the cooler assembly so you can push it up along side the frame from rear of truck towards the front. You can rotate the ends somewhat independent of each other as the strap will hold the entire assembly together. Iíve done a couple 3 over the years and this method has worked for me, just go slow, take your time.

Have seen where guys have bolted the front cooler mount on the block and then slid the remainder in, the ones Iíve assembled are pretty snug and I canít feature getting it assembled (cooler ends on) in this way.
Cheers,
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4Ē exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
).

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:57 PM
PSN Local

Yeah, when I did my oil cooler rebuild on my '96 2wd F250, I just had to use a lot of patience while removing and replacing the cooler from the oil-filter side. It took a lot of jiggling and trying this way and that way, but it actually fit. It's been years and miles since I rebuilt mine, but it's still holding leak-free.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:34 PM
PSN Veteran

I done several oil coolers....I leave the front mount bolted...pull the tube and the rear mount, re-oring then push the tube and rear mount on with a crow bar.

I then change the oil...to insure no coolant contamination.

1996 F350 Crewcab lb 2wd auto, tommylift, now over 451k, 355k 3/31/15

1991 F250 Xtracab lb 2wd auto, sold again! Driveline and chassis is under a '65 F350 cab

1965 F100 styleside, power brakes, front discs, 390 all the goodies
2015 F250 CCSB 2wd gasser auto
2008 Mustang WIP, warriors in pink, wife's
2009 Focus, son's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode