Back at it with hard starts! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Back at it with hard starts!

Had issues with cold weather hard starts last weather and replaced all 8 glow plugs and upgraded to the Stancor gpr. Trucked started beautiful after that. This fall I decided to go ahead and replace alternator and both batteries in prep for the winter to come. Well the hard starts are back. At the moment I cant find my multi meter but it seems that the batteries arent taking the load of the gp's first thing in the morning. When the key cycles for the first time in the morning the volts looks awfully low going off the dash. Its starts everytime but she doesnt fire right off like it did last year. I remember last year when the gp's where cycling the needle read right at the "n" now it's much lower. But I did notice that after the truck is drove. When I go to start it again. Key on gp's on the gauge is reading at "n" again. Almost like the batteries are draining overnight?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:20 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Back at it with hard starts!

You need to find that meter or pick up another one. Even a cheap one will work to check the actual battery voltage.
96WhiteRclb likes this.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
You need to find that meter or pick up another one. Even a cheap one will work to check the actual battery voltage.
So just for thoughts.. let's say the glow plug take more of a toll on the batteries on the first cycle of the day? Reasoning behind that? Batteries are literally 3 months old

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:40 AM
PSN Veteran

The plugs will stay on longer for the first stare due to it sitting all night in the cold. Then after you drive it a ways and the engine block heats up it will actually stay quite warm unless you let it sit again for a extended period of time.

But without knowing just what voltage you are starting with so to speak before you even turn the key on we are just guessing.

You could also have some wiring problems unless you changed out the harnesses last year when you did the glow plugs. They like to burn the pins in the harness and valve cover gasket.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 AM
PSN Veteran

Id check you batteries with a battery tester and also pending type of batteries the connections at the posts my needed some cleaning. The cold really puts the electric system through its paces. Id clean posts, test batteries individually and also charge them individually. How cold is it out on the first start?
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
Id check you batteries with a battery tester and also pending type of batteries the connections at the posts my needed some cleaning. The cold really puts the electric system through its paces. Id clean posts, test batteries individually and also charge them individually. How cold is it out on the first start?

j
Past 2 mornings it's been 16 and 18 degrees. With the block heater plugged in she fire right off

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96WhiteRclb View Post
Past 2 mornings it's been 16 and 18 degrees. With the block heater plugged in she fire right off

YUp thats starting to be cool enough to show weeknesses in the system. Not sure what type of batteries but you might wanna check the water level in them and again Id start with basics first.... clean posts, load test individually, and see where you are at. How old is the starter? Reason I ask is older starter will put significant load on batteries with the end result of running them down impacting cold starts. Not saying you need to replace starter, but just thinking of the whole system and whats causing draw. If you do need to replace starter do it with a SD one from 2000-2003, they are a reduction starter, cost less, spin significantly faster and are two bolt install (compared to 3).
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
).

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
YUp thats starting to be cool enough to show weeknesses in the system. Not sure what type of batteries but you might wanna check the water level in them and again Id start with basics first.... clean posts, load test individually, and see where you are at. How old is the starter? Reason I ask is older starter will put significant load on batteries with the end result of running them down impacting cold starts. Not saying you need to replace starter, but just thinking of the whole system and whats causing draw. If you do need to replace starter do it with a SD one from 2000-2003, they are a reduction starter, cost less, spin significantly faster and are two bolt install (compared to 3).

j
I went with Motorcraft Max batteries from Oriellys. Bought in November. Not sure how old the starter is. But when I put the new batteries in I cleaned all the connections

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Put a meter on the batteries 12.58. Key to on position 11.69. After glow plugs turn off idle voltage is 14.34

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 05:08 PM
alleged moderator

could be a bad starter too. my 02 almost would not start unless plugged in. new starter and main cable and it will now fire off at -5 degrees with 15 seconds of glow plugs.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode