96 7.3 With Dana 60 intermittent squeaking in front left wheel. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Not completely stoopid

Garage
96 7.3 With Dana 60 intermittent squeaking in front left wheel.

So I have been hunting this down for a while and am about to just chock it up to doing the radio mod till something breaks. I have replaced the hub and bearings and it got New caliper/pads and rotor honed about a year ago. I have tried locking the hubs and driving in 2wd and 4wd with no difference. It isn't loud but its loud enough to be annoying and it can be heard in the cab over the road noise of military 37's so its loud enough. I checked the pads rotor and caliper all are fine. I checked the pins for the caliper and greased them. There is no play in the tire itself. I don't know what else I can check. I have come across some posts about some area getting filled with dirt on newer 7.3's but I don't think thats possible on my truck since its the OBS. At this point I'm just curious if anyone has ever found some weird issue that caused squeaking in the front tire. It is very intermittent and always seemed to be quiet right after I took the tire off and replaced the hub(I ended up pulling it twice first time I was just checking the bearings and saw that there was a lot of play in the hub so I put it back together ordered a new hub and installed it along with new bearings just in case.). It sometimes goes with the wheel speed and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it makes sounds with braking and sometimes it goes away when I brake. Pretty much at a loss at this point. Thanks ahead of time to anyone who replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:40 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 96 7.3 With Dana 60 intermittent squeaking in front left wheel.

On my trucks I always delete the backing plate off the backside of the rotor. Iíve had instances where a rock or piece of pavement will get flipped up between the roto and backing plate. This will cause intermittent scraping or squealing, not saying this is whatís happening to you as youíve had the rotor off after the noise yes? Not sure what to make of your noise....
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4Ē exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:18 AM
PSN Veteran

Had similar troubles with a couple of our trucks, turned out to be the ceramic brake pads. It would go away when the front brakes got good and wet, then come back when they dried out. Final fix was the cheapest softest brake pads I could find. (Cheap line from Auto Zone in this case) Are you running ceramic front pads?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Not completely stoopid

Garage
Re: 96 7.3 With Dana 60 intermittent squeaking in front left wheel.

I am pretty sure what the shop I took it to was ceramics. I never have them on my truck but it was right after I had hand surgery and I couldn't do it so I reluctantly took it somewhere. I'm gonna try switching them out for some just plain brake pads from autozone. Thanks at this point Im willing to try anything. Also I did take the rotor of twice at minimum after it started squeaking and I also bent those backing plates away from the rotor just in case. These are both good ideas thanks guys will update with results when I find the time to do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode