ebpv not closing all the way - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

ebpv not closing all the way

95 7.3 powerstroke. i wired the butterfly valve to a switch. it only closes about half way though. what could cause this? could the ebpv solenoid on the pedestal cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 05:49 AM
Project Shamu

Re: ebpv not closing all the way

Can you unhook it from the armature and fully close it by hand? Tells you if the valve is binding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 02:04 PM
PSN Veteran

What are you trying to accomplish by putting a switch on it?

Most do away with it.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 12:03 AM
Project Shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
What are you trying to accomplish by putting a switch on it?

Most do away with it.
You can turn it into a poor mans exhaust brake if used correctly.

SOLD
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:34 PM
PSN Veteran

If you’ve used it lots might be the Piston assembly is leaking and will not close completely. There are now kits available to rebuild the oil pressure driven piston iirc Riff Raff might have them. When activated by the solinoid oil pressure fills behind the piston driving the linkage rod to close the EV. As it wears out the seal on the piston will bypass oil, which means a rebuild. The actual rebuild is not a big deal, getting the turbo and pedistol off can be a royal pain in the arse. Recommend spraying bolts with a quality release agent like PB blaster or other product and heat cycle for a few day by driving, spray, drive. While in there you’ll wanna check the seal on your up pipes too. And while you have the pedistol off trim the front facing web between the pedistol mounts to make it easier to get a wrench on the fuel banjo bolt. Upon reassembly use a quality anti seize paste on all threaded surfaces... to make it easier next time you pull it apart.
Cheers,
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
).

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:51 PM
PSN Veteran

Just putting a switch on it doesn't make it the poor mans exhaust brake.

The exhaust brake mod is a little bit more involved than just a switch.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:21 PM
PSN Local

I put a switch on mine, and it works well as an exhaust brake when towing down a grade.

That's about all you have to do with a standard transmission.

However, if you have an auto tranny, then you also need to put a switch on the tranny's converter lockup so that you can lock it when coming down the grade. Otherwise, you may just be churning tranny fluid without getting the retardation needed, although the tranny's coast clutch does provide some friction assistance.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:50 PM
College Student

I have an 4EOD and I don't have a torque converter switch, I just have the toggle switch to the EBPV. I just watch the RPM's and only flip it on when the torque converter is locked. I know when my truck's torque converter is locked and not. I also can tell when it is about to unlock just from experience. When its about to unlock or did unlock, all I do is flip it off, blip the throttle and turn it back on...

I wish I had it for the bottom 2 gears though, not just 3rd and 4th...

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 PM
Project Shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsdurastroke View Post
I have an 4EOD and I don't have a torque converter switch, I just have the toggle switch to the EBPV. I just watch the RPM's and only flip it on when the torque converter is locked. I know when my truck's torque converter is locked and not. I also can tell when it is about to unlock just from experience. When its about to unlock or did unlock, all I do is flip it off, blip the throttle and turn it back on...

I wish I had it for the bottom 2 gears though, not just 3rd and 4th...
I've heard of people having tunes written just for that reason. Flip it into that tune and the TC locks for anything over 5-10mph, makes it easy, and you dont need any extra wiring etc.

SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode