Fuel tank reading issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Fuel tank reading issues

Howdy all,

Here's one for you gurus,

I have searched around a ton and have not found another post quite like this problem.

At first, both fuel tanks will read past full when filled up, then they slowly start to drop adequately until empty. From what I have calculated, they are somewhat accurate once they start to drop, as in I have not been stranded due to a false reading. At the empty line I am usually about 15-16 gallons until it clicks on the front tank and a little less on the back naturally. 19 front and 17 gallon in the rear. The front tank reads about a 1/4 inch past full when first filled up. The back reads about a 1/2 inch past full when first filled up. This leads me to believe there is additional resistance in the line somewhere or maybe just that the senders are on their way out.

Granted, every tank I have ever filled reads slightly past full when first filled up, but nothing like this.

Anyone have something similar? Most posts I have researched have a problem with being stuck past full or stuck on empty.

Thank you all in advance,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:32 PM
alleged moderator

Re: Fuel tank reading issues

the fuel gauges in these trucks were never that accurate.
just be glad they do not show 1/4 or 1/2 full and actually be empty.
all my pre 99 trucks would show empty and still have 8-10 gallons in the tanks

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:36 PM
don't play well w others

Someone probably bent the float arm when changing the fuel pump.
Just keep track of mileage, and you will be fine

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustybumpers View Post
Someone probably bent the float arm when changing the fuel pump.
Just keep track of mileage, and you will be fine
That would be kind of hard since the fuel pump on a OBS is mechanical in the valley of the engine.

But then anything is possible.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 10:05 PM
don't play well w others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
That would be kind of hard since the fuel pump on a OBS is mechanical in the valley of the engine.

But then anything is possible.
I ment pick up, pump came out.
My 94 gas truck that the oil pump just went up on is occupying my mind

sent from my brandy newy flip phone that is so smart I have to keep calling mikey to figure it out, and doc is laughing, while turd is pooping in Tom's coffee

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 11:25 AM
alleged moderator

and here silly me thought it was the medical marajuana you were smoking that had your mind all cloudy.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 11:41 AM
don't play well w others

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjctransport View Post
and here silly me thought it was the medical marajuana you were smoking that had your mind all cloudy.
No, I wont be getting a card here.
I don't, and wont smoke or eat that crap

Besides
You have to give up your cdl's, and all your guns to get the card

sent from my brandy newy flip phone that is so smart I have to keep calling mikey to figure it out, and doc is laughing, while turd is pooping in Tom's coffee

Charlie
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I am definitely grateful that they work as well as they do, though it seems like there ought to be a way to get it a little more accurate. It works good enough right now, but I would like to straighten it out completely before it gets worse as well as to familiarize myself with the system. Granted it is just a basic wiring resistance type setup I would like to learn as much as possible.

Where does everyone gauge go when they fill up? Ill have to take a picture and post it to show how absurdly full it becomes.

Thank you again

Merry Christmas

Matt
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Of the three OBS trucks that I have had none of them had great fuel senders.

But all of them were pretty much the same. The rear tank will come off of full within a block after filling it up but will give me 100 miles + once it hits empty. The front tank will go a long ways on full but when it hits the E on the gauge you better either switch to the rear tank or be close to a filling station.

I've driven my 96 for 22 years now and have learned what they do so I just live with it. Next year I might have to figure out a new system since I am thinking of pulling the tanks and replacing the pick up foot before I have problems with them.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode