7 Wire trailer wiring - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question 7 Wire trailer wiring

Hey guys. My 95 F-250 appears to have all the fuses in the Power Distribution Box needed for wiring up an RV type 7 wire connector but there doesn,t seem to be any continuity to the one harness connector at the rear under the bumper. The 4 wire connector is working. Am I missing something to complete this connection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 03:51 PM
PSN Local

Re: 7 Wire trailer wiring

There is a light duty wiring harness and a heavy duty harness. Do you have a factory installed 7 way plug under the back bumper? If not you'll need to change out the rear harness or add wires to it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No 7 way plug installed but there are 2 stock connectors available behind the back bumper. One has 4 pins and connects to the stock four wire flat harness that came with the truck. The other has 3 pins but none seem to be powered even with the truck running. I think I may not have the "trailer tow relay" factory installed. Seems kind of odd they would install the fuses but not the relay

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 02:27 AM
PSN Local

That is odd. I didn't think the light duty wiring had those plugs. Do you have the two relays attached to the firewall next to the brake booster? Those relays are part of the heavy duty wiring that powers that second plug. IIRC, one is reverse, one battery charge, and one brakes. The reverse and battery charge relays are in that relay block I mentioned and the brake plug is under the ashtray in the cab.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No those relays don,t appear to be there although I do believe I see where the connector for the wiring from the rear bumper terminates under the hood. It terminates right where you said the relays should be. I wonder if Ford still has these relays available?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode