Need suggestions please - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Need suggestions please

I am buying my son a 1992 F350 CC lwb with 7.3 and ZF5, low miles 120ish, Truck ran and drove this last spring but the guy moved and hasn't drove it since, I work with him and have know him for most of his life, he takes care of his vehicles and started it regularly until about 3 months ago when the charge on the batter finally died and he just let it go.

I have checked oil, fuel bowl, added PS911 additive and 2 fresh batteries, I plan on going over there this afternoon to start it since it will be in the mid 50s and warmest day of the week. Is there anything I am overlooking or should check before giving it a go.

Thanks for any suggestions and help

07 4x4 F350 XLT CC LWB SRW 6.0 Auto bone stock except for 4" turbo back exhaust

Early 99 4x4 F350 XLT CC LWB 6 speed SRW rear air bags Tymar mod, (BLACK) 4" turbo back, DP F5 stock-60 tow-80 econ-120 race- 140 ext, CCV mod, Auto meter guages, and the best mod of all new cup holder (TOTALED RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Need suggestions please

Ran by at lunch, cycled the glow plugs several time, truck cranked over great but no start. I checked all the fuses and made sure the glow plug relay was engaging. I didn't want to crank it to long and burn up the starter, what are my options on getting it to fire other than just cranking till it finally goes.

Thanks

Early 99 4x4 F350 XLT CC LWB 6 speed SRW rear air bags Tymar mod, (BLACK) 4" turbo back, DP F5 stock-60 tow-80 econ-120 race- 140 ext, CCV mod, Auto meter guages, and the best mod of all new cup holder (TOTALED RIP)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:02 PM
alleged moderator

pull fuel filter and fill it up with diesel, diesel kleen, or even ATF. put it back on and try to fire it. if the glow plugs work, one cycle of 15 seconds WTS light is all that is needed to start once it gets fuel.
also make sure the gas gauge has at least 1/4 tank, the pickup in the tank is known for dropping off and then you will "run out of fuel" around the 1/4 mark.
once you get fuel to the engine, you should get white smoke out of the exhaust when cranking.
30 seconds cranking, then at least 2 minutes off to let the starter cool off.

if no smoke out of the exhaust when cranking if you have fuel, check for 12 volts at the fuel shut off solenoid on top of the injector pump.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thank you, put fresh fuel in bowl, tank was full but added howes to it anyway, checked the solenoid wire was loose thanks for suggestion wouldn't have checked otherwise, tightened it up and a couple cranks she was running great.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:49 AM
PSN Veteran

I strongly suggest you change out the antifreeze (flush with clean water) and put in new antifreeze with the latest DCA additive package. For this series of engine 90-93 7.3 IDI engines its critical to monitor the DCA levels in the antifreeze to prevent cavitational porosity. CP is a specific concern with this engine series, short version is the cylinder walls will erode due to CP causing hydrolocked block and bent rods = new block/engine. Ask the previous owner if he has monitored the DCA additive levels and noticed any antifreeze loss, without a visible leak.... like the over flow slowly dropping over 6 months. You can purchase test strips to check DCA additive values in the current antifreeze and use to monitor new antifreeze.
cheers,
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:55 AM
alleged moderator

cavitation is no where as bad as everyone claims it is, i have only see two examples in 35 years, and one of them was a 6.9

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode