Thinking of buying low mileage 7.3, does this price seem CRAZY!? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thinking of buying low mileage 7.3, does this price seem CRAZY!?

Soooo,
I have a buyer for my Regular cab 1997 powerstroke with 82k on the clock. It’s in 10/10 shape, garage kept, and it’s been my baby for about three years.
Well, now my wife and I have an actual baby! She’s three months old and much cuter than my 97’. No room for all three in the regular cab though. Selling my mechanical baby in January for 16k.
This is my fourth OBS ford, first powerstroke and I loved it. Now I need something we can all ride in to go camping/hunting and pull a trailer...
So now I’m looking at a 1997 f 250 extended cab(SuperCab) with 66k on it. Mint condition.
Price is...uhhummm, 24000.
Manual transmission is a must for me, this one has it.
Am I crazy to pay this much!?
Not a big fan of the newer stuff.
Oh, and will my daughters child seat fit ok in the SuperCab?
Honest opinions wanted!!!!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:11 PM
Train Whistlin' Ex driver

Garage
Cost is all where you value it, for that money you could buy something newer, and you might be crazy for selling yours so cheap. But, having done the child seat dance you will grow tired of getting your daughter in and out of the middle of the second row, get a full crew cab.

2003 Excursion 6.0, 2004 front cover, Stock head bolts, unknown EGR delete, 4" Diamond Eye turbo back exhaust, Magnaflow 60110 catalytic converter (makes the '03 whistle livable), Hellwig Sway bar, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Gearhead tunes - 8k tow or SRL depending on my level of 6.0 paranoia, unknown work by previous owners...
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:12 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Thinking of buying low mileage 7.3, does this price seem CRAZY!?

While you "can" put a carseat in the backseat, it's gonna be a pita. Even more so when you go to move to forward facing/booster seat.
The price you're paying. You could easily get a nice crew cab made in the last century....
I don't care that they're "low mileage," it's guaranteed you will still have to put money into it. That's still a 21 year old truck...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
BBslider001 likes this.

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 PM
PSN Veteran

I donít think so at all. OBS trucks are no longer cheap, but only a select few can actually afford to maintain in perfect working condition an obs truck. If you have to pay someone to work on it, you probably shouldnít own one. Low mileage or not, itís still going to need bushings, bearings, belt, fluids, filters, sensors, window motors, etc....Id pay big $$$ for the body, paint, and interior. Buy it if you love it.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 12:59 AM
PSN Veteran

So if I do a rough and dirty on the math youíre into the ďnew rideĒ for $8-10k, (taxes in etc), on the surface seems like a pretty good deal to me. Iíve owned a couple regular cabs and a baby seat is problematic with a ZF5... remember those days. Have had a couple CCs when the family was growing and they by far are the best rig for doing everything with family. Now the kids are gone and momma has a VW Touareg TDi for comfort trips. I have my Tan truck for work and can say the EXtra Cab is better than a single cab by far, but the CC is for sure the best for doing all things. Miss my CC, so much handier with the second set of doors. My recommendation is if you canít find an immaculate CC, buy the EXtra Cab and keep shopping for the CC.
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4Ē exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

All the responses are much appreciated!! I love my regular cab but it’s just too small for us. It’s a 10/10 condition and I paid 16k for it, did all the fluids throughout and put on new tires, and found a single older guy that is paying me 16k for it. It’s just a better fit for him. I am pretty handy at working on vehicles, especially all the maintenance related stuff, including these OBS Ford’s. Part of why I like them. My vehicles rarely see a mechanic, maybe twice in ten years have I taken a truck or car in for anything.
I am not looking to replace my truck ASAP, as camping and hunting season a ways off for me in Idaho and I have another truck around. I just happened upon this mint condition 97’ for sale and it’s everything I want, maybe it’s just not big enough for all of us.

The smart thing to do is wait for a crew cab to come up that has low mileage and the ZF5 I guess. A child seat in the extended cab sounds like it might be less than ideal for traveling.

Seems like the low mileage OBS Ford’s are coming out of the garages these days, maybe it’s because folks that are reaching their 70s and 80s are getting too old to travel with them?!
Crazy to see a 1997 with 50-80k miles but I’ve been seeing quite a few these days for sale.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:04 AM
PSN Veteran

I wouldnít even care about the mileage. You can get a good engine for 6-$10,000 installed. Iíd care more about the paint, body, and interior. Canít buy new door panels, never find a crew cab driver panel in perfect shape. Iíll take one with a great body, great interior, efuel, intercooled, hpoped, larger injectors, gauges, and 300,000 miles. Get a new longblock, swap over all the goodies, and go another 300,000 with modern truck power level.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 03:35 AM
Project Shamu

I actually try and stay away from the super low mile OBS's. The only thing I think of is the truck SAT for more than it was driven, and I'm a firm believer in things lasting longer when theyre constantly used (not necessarily abused though). When things sit, they just tend to age faster imo.

Not to mention who knows if the odometer hasn't been just flipped and it really has 200,000+.

On the extended cab topic, I have a crew cab, and 2 kids, with 2 car seats, and I couldn't imagine having a smaller cab. I can put both kids in the back and slide my front seat all the way back without hitting the car seat. Not very many trucks these days could do that!

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

After much thought about this, I’m sure that I do not want an extended cab anymore. I owned a 94 f 150 extended cab a decade ago while it was just me, no wife or kid, and can remember how small that back “seat” really was. With the size of car seats these days, no way would it be practical. Kids have to ride in these things till they are damn near 10 years old now! Throw in some gear and a dog, maybe another kid, no way would this work for the long run.

Now thanks to some comments here, I am really liking the idea of finding a MUCH lower priced awesome shape crew cab, and running it till it needs major work. Then pull out the tired 7.3 take it to a professional builder and have them rebuild and install it. Meanwhile i could have myself a project to build the truck like i want, and still be under the 24k I was thinking of spending on this extended cab with low miles.
I really hate to get rid of my regular cab,i think I just really wanted to replace it ASAP with something comparable. Now i can see that it’s better to take my time and get a truck thats going to be what my family needs.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 04:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
After much thought about this, Iím sure that I do not want an extended cab anymore. I owned a 94 f 150 extended cab a decade ago while it was just me, no wife or kid, and can remember how small that back ďseatĒ really was. With the size of car seats these days, no way would it be practical. Kids have to ride in these things till they are damn near 10 years old now! Throw in some gear and a dog, maybe another kid, no way would this work for the long run.

Now thanks to some comments here, I am really liking the idea of finding a MUCH lower priced awesome shape crew cab, and running it till it needs major work. Then pull out the tired 7.3 take it to a professional builder and have them rebuild and install it. Meanwhile i could have myself a project to build the truck like i want, and still be under the 24k I was thinking of spending on this extended cab with low miles.
I really hate to get rid of my regular cab,i think I just really wanted to replace it ASAP with something comparable. Now i can see that itís better to take my time and get a truck thats going to be what my family needs.
Took me 3 years saving & looking..before I found the Blue Bomber.
You will enjoy the CC. My purpose was to be able to haul the family and all the gear relative to destination.

1996 F350 XL Crew Cab LB 4x4 3:55
Former Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB Truck
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Riff Raff Diesel Turbo & Y Boot Kit
Riff Raff Diesel HPX
Mile Marker 449SS Manual Hubs

1987 F250 XLT Lariat LB 2WD 4:10
6.9/7.3 IDI Swap-SOLD

2010 John Deere 5055D

1974 Deutz 5506
2950 hours-"The Tank"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode