Do I Need A New Tq Converter? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Do I Need A New Tq Converter?

Yesterday my converter stopped locking up. Took it to a trusted trans shop and hooked up a SnapOn Scanner. The truck is throwing no codes, but in real lime logging, the ecm is commanding the converter to lock. Since the ecm is commanding it, and there is no codes being set, does that mean the converter is getting the message and locks but itís just slipping and therefore the ecm canít detect the mechanical failure? I have been getting the code for converter lockup failure off and on for the past year. It would set the code but it still locked up fine.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 01:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Do I Need A New Tq Converter?

I would look at wiring before jumping to worst case scenario. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

We looked at that yesterday and it all looked good visually. That would be the harness going to the trans correct? Funny thing is, when going down a slight decline or perfectly flat ground, it feels like it locks. 2600 rpm @ 70 mph when going up an incline, 2100 when on flat surface or slight decline. Accelerate just slightly, and it jumps right back to 2600. Is it possible to just partially work?

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:36 PM
College Student

Whats the tranny fluid color on the dip stick?

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Looks new, smells new. Its 6 months old.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 12:47 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolic1 View Post
Since the ecm is commanding it, and there is no codes being set, does that mean the converter is getting the message and locks but itís just slipping and therefore the ecm canít detect the mechanical failure? I have been getting the code for converter lockup failure off and on for the past year. It would set the code but it still locked up fine.
The PCM can detect a mechanical failure. You were getting the code, it just hasn't set again, yet.

What does the front face of the torque converter look like? When the converter clutch slips it heats up the front of the converter, which will blue it, similar to a gun that has been blued.

Quote:
We looked at that yesterday and it all looked good visually.
A visual inspection only finds the most obvious problems. A bad harness usually looks fine.

Having said that, the electrical tests that look for opens and shorts in the wiring harness are the most robust tests the PCM runs. If there were an electrical problem there would be a code for that.

Quote:
Funny thing is, when going down a slight decline or perfectly flat ground, it feels like it locks. 2600 rpm @ 70 mph when going up an incline, 2100 when on flat surface or slight decline. Accelerate just slightly, and it jumps right back to 2600. Is it possible to just partially work?
Yes, it is. That would cause the front face of the torque converter to turn blue.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

ďThe good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.Ē ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I drove the truck all day today and no converter lockup, and no codes thrown. Perhaps itís just complete coincidence, but this evening I looked under the hood and the vacuum line to my map sensor had blown off. I reattached it and installed a hose clamp. Now the lockup is working again! Wtf???

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

By front face of the converter, it that the side that faces the trans?

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Do I even need a triple disk billet or a single disk billet ok? Daily driver truck in sig.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 03:05 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
By front face of the converter, it that the side that faces the trans?
No, the front face is the side that faces the front of the truck.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

ďThe good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.Ē ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode