OBS Water Pump Fun - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
College Student

OBS Water Pump Fun

After a 500 mile trip across central Idaho and majority of Oregon to visit family for the holiday, my 95 7.3l's water pump decided it didn't want to stay sealed any more. I went to move my pick up and there was a big puddle of coolant under it. It looks to be coming from the weep hole.

The truck has 254k, so no surprise really that the stock pump is starting to go. From looking up on line on how to replace it, it doesn't seem that horrible. What are some tips or trick to making this not as big of a pain in the a$$. While I am in there, I am going to replace the serpentine belt. I read once a while back about problems with belts being slightly too long or too short. Is this still a potential problem that is happening? Also going to get a new thermostat too.

Is there anything else I should consider while in there as well?

On a side note, I replaced the starter with a 2003 gear reduction starter a while back and considering getting new battery cables cus mine are not that healthy looking. I know that they are slightly different. Since I have the newer starter on it, can I just get cables for a newer super duty, or are there still some major differences between the two?

Thanks in advance.

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:44 PM
PSN Local

Re: OBS Water Pump Fun

Do you have an IDI radiator or the degas rad?

As long as you dont have the IDI rad you could consider putting an IH water pump with a filter in. heard its a great upgrade and not much more difficult than a normal water pump replacement. I was looking into it before I found out its not really possible with the 94.5s.

1994.5 f-250: eFuel conversion, Luk SMF conversion, S&B intake, 3in DP, TS chip, ev2 pyro
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
College Student

I ended up finding a new rotorcraft one at a dealership. I would have gotten the one with the filter, but now one had one around and I need to drive the truck back home Saturday. Got a new thermostat, serpentine belt, CPS and water pump installed last night and bleed out this morning. Not to bad of a job, but not being patient enough to let the radiator drain resulting in swimming in coolant sucked.

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 02:43 PM
PSN Veteran

I did the waterpump in my 97 it was pretty dang easy as far as waterpumps go.
The hard part for me was getting the fan clutch off of the old waterpump, I had to clamp the old pump down to my trailer and it took a 8' breaker bar to free it. The hub on my fan and clutch has been bitched up by people using an air chisel on it. It was NOT easy...in fact I removed the whole pump with fan attached.
I also replaced the thermostat at same time and rebuilt my oil cooler. Very good idea to rebuild the oil cooler now and replace the block heater since you will have to drain alot of coolant from the block.
The stock thermostat housing sucks, its "sheet metal" and they stretch and leak (more like hard to seal up)
SO they make aftermarket water jackets from billet or you can put a aftermarket re-enforcing ring on the stock piece that will help it seal.

I now have a new waterpump (AC delco)
New serpentine belt
New tensioner
New thermostat
New fan clutch (Motorcraft)
Rebuilt oil cooler (Ford O ring kit)
New block heater
and new radiator hoses

All of that is a good idea when considering changing the waterpump on OBS

Oh yeah and dont forget to add the diesel coolant additive to your coolant when done

For the battery cables, consider converting your stock cables to use copper lugs..I did and I am very happy with the results. All the other 7.3 trucks around here are constantly having battery terminal issues, not my 97

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, collecting parts for suspension lift
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, toy hauler camper conversion...researching 4x conversion
21.9 liter family
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
College Student

Had the oil cooler rebuild about 10k ago. I need to get some of that coolant additive. The truck has been running the VC-3-B Orange coolant for as long as my dad can remember. I want to get a new tensioner at some point. So far the thermostat has sealed on it. Just slowly pleading the air out of it.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 03:12 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsdurastroke View Post
I ended up finding a new rotorcraft one at a dealership. I would have gotten the one with the filter, but now one had one around and I need to drive the truck back home Saturday. Got a new thermostat, serpentine belt, CPS and water pump installed last night and bleed out this morning. Not to bad of a job, but not being patient enough to let the radiator drain resulting in swimming in coolant sucked.
I put a champion radiator in my 94 last summer and did the same thing. smelled like coolant for 2 days but that drain plug wasnt going fast enough for me either

1994.5 f-250: eFuel conversion, Luk SMF conversion, S&B intake, 3in DP, TS chip, ev2 pyro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode