What in the world caused this? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sbluke55
  • 1 Post By Dustybumpers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

What in the world caused this?

This might be the wrong forum but I am in process of converting my F-450 Powerstroke from a Utility to a dump truck and on the way from the welding shop to have them check out how to start the work after I had taken the Utility box off a strange thing happened.

Now I am driving a cab and chassis with over inflated rear dually's but going down the road all of a sudden it felt like I was driving over 6" speed bumps on the road, the truck was bouncing violently and pulled extremely hard to the left as I was bringing it to a stop.

I hobbled over to a parking lot and got out, expecting to see a disaster under the truck. I had actually looked back in the rear view mirror as I was bringing the bucking bronco to a halt and fully expected to see one of the rear wheels rolling down the road back there.

I looked underneath, everything looked fine, nothing dragging or loose so got back in hoping to nurse it down the road to a shop about 1/2 a mile away. Everything worked just fine, rode smooth, shifted through all 5 gears.

Got home first thing I checked was differential oil, it was to the top and looked clean.

What could be the cause? I am guessing something in the brakes broke loose and jammed up so am having a brake shop check all wheels, brakes. Truck is driving smooth, no noises but am spooked. If this were to happen at highway speed it would be a disaster. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Re: What in the world caused this?

hung caliper that released after the stop would be suspect for the hard left

the hopping IDK it may have been death wobble? was the steering wheel oscillating

obviously, the truck dynamics changed when you removed the utility bed weight this can effect handling

but the end result will put the weight back on ( dump bed and rams /etc ) so it may all return to normal

(other than the hard left )

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

OK, never heard of the term "Death Wobble" so not sure what that means other than I was scared to death and can't remember if steering wheel was wig wagging since I was clutching it tightly.

Good thing I was only going around 30 mph when it happened.

Yes, the heavy box and ladder rack being removed made the rear end prone to bouncing since the tires are inflated to maximum and the new steel with the dump will bring things back to more stability

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 02:19 AM
PSN Veteran

I know my 94 dually would get really squirrelly with the rears at 85 psi and no load. This was always due to the tire jockeys neglecting my instructions to put only 60 in the tires. I would get home and air them down and all was good. Once you get more weight back on it it should get better. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:15 AM
Kid with a dream

Garage

One time I got a fat ass rock stuck in between the two tires on the left side of a dually rear and as soon as I got up to 10ish mph it felt like I was hopping down the section road. So I stopped and found the rock. Took a big hammer and some motivation to get it out. Sounds like just another crazy incident to me
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:19 PM
don't play well w others

Bobtailing in a tractor trailer is just like that

You never know when you hit a bad patch of road with a light rear/heavy front. Makes the rear try to pass the front. Normal just be careful

I'm sure Tom will be along to comment on this.

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:24 PM

It might be a while, isnít Tom at the mall playing Santa right now?
Zmann and Dustybumpers like this.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 09:37 PM
don't play well w others

I don't think so. after the "incident" with the pet store pets at the mall, pretty sure he's banned from the mall now.

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 09:55 PM
alleged moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustybumpers View Post
Bobtailing in a tractor trailer is just like that

You never know when you hit a bad patch of road with a light rear/heavy front. Makes the rear try to pass the front. Normal just be careful

I'm sure Tom will be along to comment on this.

been there, done that, and it sure wakes you up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbluke55 View Post
It might be a while, isnít Tom at the mall playing Santa right now?
not yet, that gig don't start until next friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustybumpers View Post
I don't think so. after the "incident" with the pet store pets at the mall, pretty sure he's banned from the mall now.

that was Timmy the petvert, and you damn well know it!!

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 10:01 PM
don't play well w others

Timmy, Tommy.

spelling pretty close...….
I or o...…..
tjctransport likes this.

Charlie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode