97 7.3L keep quitting - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
97 7.3L keep quitting

New to the group. My 97 stroke, has now quit running on 3 occasions. Twice on sharp right turns while towing and the engine quit. No warning lights, just quit and then will restart after several attempts. Final was heading down I-90 at 65 towing the same camper/trailer rig and the engine dies. Put it in neutral and it restarted, though the speedometer went spastic and then settled. No blown fuses. I had replaced the cam position sensor while in the mountain (black model), but that doesn't seem to be the issue. Stopped and drained the fuel bowl after the last stoppage. I had replaced the fuel bowl heater about 10 years ago, when the truck quit running and would not restart. Ordered an updated heater unit, but not sure again it this is the issue. Any suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 01:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 97 7.3L keep quitting

Just unplug the fuel heater for now (mine's been unplugged for years). Measure the fuel pressure while cranking and running if you can. You should have a minimum of 25 psi while cranking and at least 40 while running. Sometimes you even need to get a gauge up to the windshield and see what the pressure does under WOT. Check the fuel regulator screen between the regulator body and bowl. You might even pull the regulator spooland spring out to make sure the spring is not broken or bent and that the bore and spool are not scored. I would swap the CPS (OEM only) again (if that's not it you'll have a spare for the glovebox. Make sure the oil level is good. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 02:34 AM
PSN Newb

Had the same issue last winter, no lights and would always restart after a few tries. Did an injector buzz test a dozen times and finally got an injector to fail. Turned out it was the oem harness in the valve cover on the passenger side had melted. Got a new one from Napa and that fixed the issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode