oil cooler problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

oil cooler problem

I just took the oil cooler off our 97 that is in the process of getting parted out to keep the other two running and put it on my 94 powerstroke. The 94 had the bypass that keeps falling out and it was leaking pretty bad.

I rebuilt it with new o rings and gaskets from aliant and got it on no problem. Torqued it just like the book said and all was perfect for about a week till yesterday morning. It was snowing and in the teens out when I started it. Oil started slowly leaking out of the front header gasket. It was torqued to 24 foot pounds like the book said but I crawled underneath and gave it just the tiniest bit of a turn on both bolts and it seems to have stopped.
Both surfaces were as clean as if they were new so I'm wondering if I should replace the gasket again in the front? I didn't use any sealer and shouldn't have to on that type either but maybe I should have. I don't know.
What do ya'll think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM
PSN Local

Re: oil cooler problem

probably just backed out due to the constant heating and cooling of the engine. I would just retourgue and check them in a few days. Did you locktight the bolts?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: oil cooler problem

No they didn't back out but I didn't put any locktight on either. That's a bad place to use that stuff on a 94. There isn't any metal there on the front cover compared to a 95 and up. The bottom screw was already stripped out and I had to fix that with a helicoil. It was leaking again this morning so I'm about to go pull it off again. This time I'm putting some of the gray rtv on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode