Rough idle, blue/gray smoke, loss of power - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Rough idle, blue/gray smoke, loss of power

Hey, I have a 1997 7.3L PSD turbo that has started to run very rough. Cold start blows blue smoke (looks like fog down my street) and turns gray as I drive. I ran diagnostics and came back with three codes, p1271, p1272, and p1277. The injectors are most likely shot. I was wondering if the was a better place to start before replacing injectors.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:41 PM
PSN Newb

Compression test
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 02:54 PM
PSN Newb

Buzz test and CCT and go from there, IF it sounds “even” while cranking. If you can hear a skip or a drag, forget it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 02:16 AM
PSN Local

Re: Rough idle, blue/gray smoke, loss of power

I had very similar issues with my 97. I have sense had the problem figured out but it wasn't an easy or cheap process. The main issue for the smoke on my truck was injector seals. all my seals were dry rotted and letting oil by. As for rough idle i also had a bad computer and bad glow plugs and a bad fuel pump. My truck runs like a dream now, but it was a long process to get it there.

other things i would look into are, injector harness, clean fuel system, Cam position sensor replacement to the newest gen., IPR valve.

there are many things that can cause weird symptoms, most commonly a 7.3 isn't blow up.

That OBS Life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode