HELP!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

HELP!!

I have a 1996 psd 7.3 that I cannot figure out why it keeps dying on me. When I start it I can drive it for about a mile or 2 before it starts slowing down. if I push the pedal the RPMs will not go up so it just slows down to the point where I have to pull over. Once I pull over , the idle is a really rough knocking and then it just dies. the only way to get it started is to release air through the valve by the fuel bowl. Have replaced and checked several things but I will just slow down and die on me as if it is not getting fuel. And itll happen more often at an incline. Below is a list of things that have been replaced / checked. thank you.
REPLACED : fuel bowl filter , mechanical fuel pump, replaced a couple of fried wires that were on top of engine by fuel bowl, front fuel tank, replaced fuel hoses.
CHECKED: main wiring harness there were no fried wires, cleaned out the fuel lines, bypassed fuel tank selector valve to see if that was the issue but it wasn't, checked the fuses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:13 PM
PSN intsigator

Re: HELP!!

Have you checked your fuel suction lines in the tank(s)

Sent from my super awesome outdated Samsung phone while waiting for masakimms# 500mA overdraw draw to catch fire which turd will be blamed for and we will be sitting on dustybumpers tailgate watching the fire and plotting against yommy.

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

the sending unit ? I thought about replacing it but a mechanic we know inspected the old one and said there was nothing wrong with it . but I probably should replace it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:18 PM
PSN intsigator

Yep there is what is referred to a shower head on the end the disenagrates and plugs the line or acts like is runs out of fuel when at 1/4 tank.

Sent from my super awesome outdated Samsung phone while waiting for masakimms# 500mA overdraw draw to catch fire which turd will be blamed for and we will be sitting on dustybumpers tailgate watching the fire and plotting against yommy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

cant be the sending unit because we bypassed it to get fuel directly to engine but no luck
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

at one point the fuel filter light would come on before it would act up. but the light was on due to some wires touching. Could all that the truck is doing be electrical ?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:21 PM
PSN intsigator

Not if you are getting air in the fuel filter

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96psd7.3 View Post
cant be the sending unit because we bypassed it to get fuel directly to engine but no luck

The sending unit has nothing to do with getting fuel to the engine.

There is a 2stage fuel mechanical fuel pump in the valley almost under the turbo. It pulls fuel from the tanks and send it to the filter, then from the filter back to the pump where it send high pressure fuel to the injectors.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

that is the fuel pump that we replaced already. Anymore ideas ?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

this trucks been giving me hell. it has 270,000 miles witch for a 7.3 diesel I hear is nothing. The truck belonged to a family member who bought it off the lot in 96. it has been very well tooken care of. I guess everything is deciding to wear out now that I got it lol. but usually when something goes out , I replace it and its back on the road . Only this time is the longest its taken to fix it and figure out whats wrong with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode