1996 7.3 no start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

1996 7.3 no start

Iíve been having problems with my 1996 f350 7.3, it stalled out the other day on my way home, so I ordered a new CPS from ford and installed it last night. Drove it around for about 20 minutes and it was driving fine. This morning on my way to school it stalled again but started back up. On my way home it stalled out about 5 more times and I barely made it home... started it when I got home and it was idling terrible, RPMs where continuously rising and falling. Turned it off and now it wonít start. I unplugged the ICP sensor and tried starting it again and still nothing, just cranks. Now Iím wondering if maybe itís the IPR?? If anyone has any knowledge or experience with this please let me know.

Thanks,
Christian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 01:31 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 1996 7.3 no start

On first glance it seems like fuel (but not much to go on) so,

CEL illuminated?
Oil Level good?
Wait-to-Start light coming on?
RPMs registering while cranking?
Fuel Pressure while cranking?
Tried switching fuel tanks?
Any mods like a chip?
IPR "tin nut" on and snug?

Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:18 AM
PSN Newb

My ipr nut and spacer is gone. Mine runs great. What kind cam sensor did you get? Oem from the dealer is the only way to go. Aftermarket are hit and miss.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
On first glance it seems like fuel (but not much to go on) so,

CEL illuminated?
Oil Level good?
Wait-to-Start light coming on?
RPMs registering while cranking?
Fuel Pressure while cranking?
Tried switching fuel tanks?
Any mods like a chip?
IPR "tin nut" on and snug?

Cheers!

No CEL light, tried switching tanks, gonna check the IPR nut when I get home, RPMs are registering while cranking, but the oil gauge does not move while cranking. I have a TS 6 pos chip

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97obs_stroker View Post
My ipr nut and spacer is gone. Mine runs great. What kind cam sensor did you get? Oem from the dealer is the only way to go. Aftermarket are hit and miss.

Got the dark blue one of amazon that cane in the motorcraft packaging so it is OEM

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:26 AM
PSN Newb

I know it is kinda redundant but make sure your oil level is where it needs to be that can play a role. The other thing is watch the chip I don't know what caused it in my 97 7.3 but the chip caused a no start it would crank for days but never fire, after messing with it for a while we got fed up and took it to the shop and they tested everything and could not find anything wrong so the pulled the chip out just to see and it fired right up. A year or so after that I sent the chip to TS and they checked it and told me it was fine so I put it back on to try it again after do some more cleaning to the terminals and it ran fine for 3 days and then went into no start again so I pulled the chip and it fired right up. I don't know if that is caused from the chip or my pcm or what but just figured I'd through it out there.

1997 F250 4x4 Extended Cab 7.3L Daily
1997 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L Work in progress
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:51 AM
PSN Veteran

As burton97 has mentioned, physically remove the chip from the PCM (don't just set it to stock setting) and see what happens. If its not the chip, get the problem resolved before reinstalling it. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 03:15 PM
PSN Newb

I have the same chip, when i firsst installed it i had a cel and no start. Took back apart and scrubbed all the glue off terminals to the copper and reinstalled. No problem since. That was over two years ago.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

1996 7.3 no start

So I ran the truck without the chip, it ran great for like 20 minutes so I turned it off and started it again, running fine. Then let it sit for around 5-10 minutes and then started it and it was idling terrible and then stalled out. I also checked to see if there was oil in the hpop whole it was running, and as soon as I listened the bolt it started flowing out immediately.... so would this mean chances are itís not an oil problem?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 02:02 PM
PSN Newb

You would need some numbers on oil pressure before ruling out hpop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode