Changed Fuel Filter now won't start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Changed Fuel Filter now won't start

Hey there, I am newer to diesels and I've got a 97 f250 7.3 with around 260k. I just changed the fuel pump the other day and truck drove perfectly fine and even started back up after I went into the store but then I parked it and the next morning it would only crank. I'm not getting a WTS light either. Also checked fuses and changed GPR and have tried cycling it but still nothing but cranking. Any Ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:39 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Changed Fuel Filter now won't start

Check fuse #22 in the under hood box with a ohm meter. If it is blown unplug the fuel heater that is in the filter housing.

Fuse #22 controls power to the PCM relay, without it nothing works.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:44 AM
PSN Newb

You can isolate the problem by hooking up a fuel pressure gauge to the pre- and post-filter ports on the fuel filter bowl. Your fuel pressure should be around 60 psi. By testing both ports, you can isolate whether the issue is from the fuel pump or your fuel pressure regulator, which is what regulates the fuel pressure to the whole system. You have a mechanical fuel pump, correct?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Shoot didn't mean to say I changed the Fuel pump I meant the fuel filter and not completely sure if it mechanical or not.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 AM
PSN Newb

I'm pretty sure you do have a mechanical fuel pump, but could be wrong. I think Ford went to the electric fuel pumps starting in '99. Regardless, you can check underneath the driver's side seat. If it has an electric fuel pump, it'll be mounted to the inside of the frame on the driver's side. The mechanical fuel pumps are mounted on top of the engine, near the fuel filter bowl. With that being said, I'd check the fuses, as Bugman mentioned previously, first. That's an easy fix, if that's all it is. If the fuse is good, then I'd definitely look at checking your fuel pressure, as I stated previously.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:54 AM
PSN Newb

I also have the early 7.3 with 237 miles not sure of what chip she's got but has run like a champ ! 6 spd standard. just wanted to change out fuel filter & heating element but it fell apart . So the only heating coil I can find was the upgrade. Now when replacing I noticed the "black center rod spring" is compressed ? Wile tighting this heating element down "two screws". What does this spring do & is it ok to be seated to the point where there is no play or looseness in this black center post ? Are there any concerns about replacing this heating coil other than the obvious ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 11:56 AM
PSN Veteran

The fuel heater is not needed. There are a lot of these trucks running around with it disconnected for a very long time with no problems in very cold areas. Mine included.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:32 PM
PSN Veteran

To the OP...yep check that #22 fuse, u could have blown it changing the filter.

on the fuel heater...I took mine out also...it is much easier to clean the solids out of the fuel bowl now.

1996 F350 Crewcab lb 2wd auto, tommylift, now over 451k, 355k 3/31/15

1991 F250 Xtracab lb 2wd auto, sold again! Driveline and chassis is under a '65 F350 cab

1965 F100 styleside, power brakes, front discs, 390 all the goodies
2015 F250 CCSB 2wd gasser auto
2008 Mustang WIP, warriors in pink, wife's
2009 Focus, son's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode