New truck doesn't want to rev? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

New truck doesn't want to rev?

Okay so I'm confused here, on my new truck a 1996 F350 Powerstroke I've noticed that it doesn't like revving past 2000 or 2500 rpm but will rev past after a few seconds. It doesn't seem to do it as bad when I get on it driving down the road but if I'm taking it easy it's like it for lack of a better phrase gets stuck and then finally revs past I know it's not a tack issue because I can hear that the engine isn't revving right, the issue is exacerbated while sitting still in park or neutral however I have noticed that some days it's worse than others. As an experiment I took the factory exhaust off from the downpipe backwards thinking that maybe the cat or the muffler was plugged however that made no difference. I'm at a loss here, any ideas at all? For information the truck has 345,000 miles.

I don't have a CEL at all and the local monkeys won't hook up the reader till there's an actual CEL....

P. S. When the issue presents the motor seems to run rough then clean up at which point it will rev, seems to start "breaking up" around 1500 and cleans up around 2500-2700.

I'm newish to the diesel world and trying to get things figured out.

Also yes I tried the search function and kept coming up as a broken link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 12:41 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: New truck doesn't want to rev?

Check the exhaust back pressure valve . Make sure it isnít stuck shut . Itís in the turbo just before the down pipe .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: New truck doesn't want to rev?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Check the exhaust back pressure valve . Make sure it isnít stuck shut . Itís in the turbo just before the down pipe .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think it's stuck I hear it close then open everytime I start the truck, and no lack of power while driving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode