Possible Bad Fuel? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Possible Bad Fuel?

I have a 97 7.3 that I think may have gotten bad fuel. Let me start by saying this: the water in fuel light never really came on until about 7 months ago when it would just randomly come on. I would drain the bowl and then the light would shut off. Sometimes it would come on while I was going around a bend and sometimes it’ll turn on and the truck will run fine; shut it off and drain the bowl, start it back up and it still runs fine but the light would be on still. The truck has always ran well though.

This morning I went to get fuel because my tank was a little low (I only use my front tank because my rear tank leaks.), I get fuel and drive to a few stores and everything is fine. Then I pull up to a stop sign and the idle drops and it runs really rough and has no power. I tried getting it home and it had no power and then would randomly surge and have normal power for a second but then go back to rough idle.

I got it home and drained the fuel bowl into a jar and let that sit next to me. I start the truck back up and it runs ok for literally 2 seconds and then runs rough again. I left it running and went to the parts store in another vehicle. I came home, shut the truck off, pumped out all of the fuel from the front tank, then pumped in 10 gallons from my roomate’s truck (she got fuel somewhere else and her truck ran fine). I also put a new fuel filter in and added some of the diesel help water remover. The truck started and ran rough, it would have times when it would idle a little better than others and at some point it wasn’t that far off from a normal idle. Overall, it still ran rough for about 15 minutes. Then the truck died(it had not done that at all until now). I drained the fuel bowl and it started and ran rough and then died about 30 seconds later.

In the past year I have replaced: the IPR, the injectors, the HPOP, the IDM and a few other parts. I plugged my Bluetooth adapter in and it has no codes. While running rough it shows me an IPR duty cycle of about 18.7 and normal it’s about 14.7 and the HPOP started at around 770 and jumped between that and 1300 but overall it stayed between 770 and 990. The water in fuel light is still on. When the truck dies I drain the bowl and put fresh fuel in and the light still stays on. Then the truck barely starts and runs rough and dies after a few seconds. If you try starting the truck back up right after it will barely start once and then it just won’t start if you try again right away. I left the truck sitting for about 2 hours and came back out and it started and did the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:00 AM
alleged moderator

Re: Possible Bad Fuel?

after sitting a while, what did the fuel you drained out look like?
was there water in the bottom, or was it pure fuel?
i have seen the Water in fuel sensor short out more times than i have seen water in the fuel on trucks.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

After letting it sit for a while, there seems to be dark red/light brown little spots covering almost the entire bottom of the jar. The fuel in the jar is from originally draining the bowl. Should I fill another jar now?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:28 AM
PSN Veteran

If there was enough water to cause problems it would be layered in the bottom and not just little spots.

If you want to see what water in fuel actually looks like get some fuel into your jar and then put enough water into it to come up off of the bottom of the jar. The fuel will be on top and the water on the bottom.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 03:56 PM
young guy, old trucks

Did you ever change the fuel filter? I had this happen with a 95 7.3 and three tractors with a slip tank of bad diesel fuel. Change the filter, put in some good fuel and give it a shot. Was a night and day difference for me.

2001 ccsb lariat, php hydra, edge cts2, straight pipes. gone but never forgotten
2011 ecsb xlt, 325/60r20, 20x10 pro-comp rims, mpd t4 budget kit, sxe s364.5, G3arhead tuning, H&S intercooler pipes, five inch flo-pro, six inch tip, 514rwhp, 908ib/ft torque with bald tires
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

The old filter was black but I think I changed it around 5k ago. I put a new filter in after I pumped out all of the old fuel and the filter is still normal color. I pumped all the fuel out of the tank and then put in 10 gallons of fresh fuel. I'll post a pic of the old filter tomorrow as well as the IPR and CPS readings. I put a fuel additive in after I pumped out the tank that is supposed to remove water and I let it sit over night. This morning I went to go start the truck and it started up and ran perfectly for about 10 seconds and then started sputtering and running rough again so I shut it off. Could the screen inside the fuel tank be clogged?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:38 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melamed555 View Post
The old filter was black but I think I changed it around 5k ago. I put a new filter in after I pumped out all of the old fuel and the filter is still normal color. I pumped all the fuel out of the tank and then put in 10 gallons of fresh fuel. I'll post a pic of the old filter tomorrow as well as the IPR and CPS readings. I put a fuel additive in after I pumped out the tank that is supposed to remove water and I let it sit over night. This morning I went to go start the truck and it started up and ran perfectly for about 10 seconds and then started sputtering and running rough again so I shut it off. Could the screen inside the fuel tank be clogged?

I’d recommend removing the fuel filter and doing a visual inspection of the bottom of the fuel bowl for water . Also if the fuel filter is black I’d suspect possibly a injector O ring leaking engine oil into the fuel system . Is there diesel in the crank case ?
Your ICP seems a little high to me ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode