No start no smoke

SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
97350quadcab
PSN Newb
Join: Sep 2018

Sep 03, 2018 ∑ #1
97 7.3 wont go above 2000 rpms?
I bought a 1997 f350 quad cab a few weeks ago. Previous couldn't get it started. All it turned out to be was the #22 maxi fuse in the engine bay fuse panel lol. It idles great but when driving, the truck will not rev over 2000 rpm. Even in neutral it will rev to 2000 and then cut out and will not go above that. While revving in neutral it blows white and blue smoke. Tried unplugging the MAP sensor, didn't help at all. Just figured out today that i have a bad vaccum pump. I dont know if that would have anything to do with it. It seems like the truck will not build any boost. Its very sluggish and takes about 3/4 of a mile to get up to 55. I don't know really where to start on this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

matthewd11
PSN Veteran
Join: Nov 2007
Mentions: 1
Rhode Island

Sep 03, 2018 ∑ #2
Start by checking fuel pressure.
Calico5
Old Mechanic
Join: Oct 2007
SoCal

Sep 03, 2018 ∑ #3
Re: 97 7.3 wont go above 2000 rpms?
matthewd11 said:
Original Post
Start by checking fuel pressure.

Check the fuel pressure. Get a scanner and run for codes (or have it scanned).
Vacuum pump would have nothing to do with it...
Try unplugging the ICP sensor. The PCM will go into a default mode, but will continue to run. See what happens...
Ford Diesel Tec
PSN Newb

Sep 04, 2018 ∑ #4
Re: 97 7.3 wont go above 2000 rpms?
first off how many miles and has the fuel filter ever been changed?
if so, check for boost leaks being that it blows allot of white smoke you could have turbo seal failure.
if its not oil burning then you have excessive raw fuel not completely burning which could be a cause for no boost or low compression.
also check the air filter.

97350quadcab
PSN Newb

2 days ago ∑ #5
I have a 97 f350 7.3. A few weeks ago i was coming home with it and as i was coming to a stop sign, the truck just shut off. Like someone just turned the key off. And it would not start back up.

I had a guy come pull codes for me and it showed that my ipr was only building 60 psi of oil pressure at the most. After a little more troubleshooting, i decided to try replacing the ipr.

I changed that this morning and after that, the truck started right up. I let it run for a few minutes and then i hopped in to go for a test drive. The truck only moved a foot or two and then died again. I tried to start it again and i realized my WTS light was not coming on. I checked my fuses and number 22 was bad. Since i pulled the fuel bowl to change the ipr, i assumed that i must have shorted my fuel bowl heater. I unplugged it, put a new fuse in, and my WTS light came back and all my other lights were working properly. But it would crank and crank and still no start.

Got another buddy to come over and pull codes on the truck. Showed nothing. I ran an injector buzz test and it showed p1271, p1272, p1273, p1274, p1275, p1277, and p1278 high to low side open. As well as my ipr circuit was open. I am building 180 psi HPO now but still no start. Almost positive all of my injectors except #6 did not go out all at once.

I show Rpms on the tach as well. Just changed the cps a week or 2 ago to the Ford one.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated. Not really sure how to go about checking maybe wiring?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode