O/D Light Flashing, Hard Shifts, new TC - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

O/D Light Flashing, Hard Shifts, new TC

I've got a 95 Powerstroke E4OD CCLB dually with 335k miles. The O/D light was flashing when I bought it, but it was also leaking tranny fluid and had a bad torque converter (i knew this going into the purchase). I recently had the TC replaced and a new front seal installed, and the engine codes were cleared since the batteries were disconnected (I don't remember what the codes were). The truck now shifts through all the gears, and doesn't leak, and doesn't slip or stall anymore. However, the shifts are still hard and the light is still flashing. The truck has no stored codes (checked multiple times with 2 different scanners). It is NOT tuned (I know for a fact since I put the truck back to stock and sold the tuner the day I bought the truck). The cluster all works, and I went through all the fuses both inside and under the hood, and no blown fuses. I disconnected the batteries overnight, and tried again. The truck turns on, no flashing light, but after maybe 10 seconds (no driving, just idling and warming up) the light starts flashing again. I've been searching forums all week and can't seem to find an answer. I know I can try better cleaning the wire plugs on the tranny for the gear selector and the speed sensor, but I have already gone through them once. The fluid is still a very clean color, doesn't smell burned. But I have not been driving it much to prevent any damage driving in safe mode may cause. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:25 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: O/D Light Flashing, Hard Shifts, new TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby Calk View Post
The truck has no stored codes (checked multiple times with 2 different scanners).
There are codes stored. Neither scanner you used was able to read them, but they are there. Try a better scanner that has Ford specific software.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 03:01 PM
PSN Newb

@mark: What scanner would you suggest, I am having similar problems and I have tried two scanners that would not fit...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 02:45 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The only one I've ever used was a Rotunda NGS. That was the factory tool. There are others that will work, but I'm not familiar with them.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Okay, I went to a few different shops and found someone that had a scanner that worked. Here's my codes list:
P0713
P1748
P0603
P0708

Quick tip, if you call a shop and ask to get codes scanned 30 min before they close, the manager is usually gone for the day and they won't charge! Got mine done free
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Okay, I now have the new TC, new solenoid pack, new neutral safety switch, new fluid, and let the truck sit with the batteries unplugged over night, and still have the flashing OD light. It doesn't slam into gear super hard anymore, but it still sometimes lugs down and the light still flashes. Thoughts?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 12:57 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

What codes are stored now?

Mark

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

My codes now are:
P0713
P1705

So a couple repeat codes. Thinking I need to do a more thorough clean of the connectors and check grounds next? I also bought my own scan tool from Amazon that WORKS with these trucks for $130.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 02:30 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

P0713 says that the trans fluid temp (TFT) sensor input is high. That shows either an open circuit or a short to power.

P1705 indicates a circuit problem with the TRS. Both could be caused by bad connections.

Mark

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 03:26 AM
PSN Newb

Colby Calk...sorry to butt in on this thread, but what scanner did you buy that works? Does it also do buzz tests and CCT tests?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode