O/D LIGHT FLASHING ON HOT DAYS - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bugman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

O/D LIGHT FLASHING ON HOT DAYS

HELLO Y'ALL,

I HAVE A 1995 7.3L POWERSTROKE AUTOMATIC THAT LIKES TO SHIFT HARD, AFTER IT WARMS UP AND ONLY ON HOT DAYS... I LIVE IN COLORADO AND ON THE COLDER DAYS IT'S FINE ALTHOUGH... AFTER WARMING UP IT SEEMS TO WANT TO TAKE OFF LIKE A TURTLE AT A STOP SIGN AND LIKE A CATERPILLAR FROM A STOP GOING UP A HILL AS IF I AM HAULING PIKES PEAK. WHEN I PURCHASED THE CAR LAST SUMMER AND HAD AN EMISSIONS TEST DONE THE TECH SAID "YOUR TURBO IS LEAKING". I ASKED HIM HOW HE KNEW AND HE SAID HE COULD TELL BECAUSE THE FIRST COUPLE OF GEARS PRODUCED ALSMOST TOO MUCH SMOG. SO... ON TOP OF THIS IT HAS A SLIGHT OIL LEAK THAT GATHERS DOWN AND AROUND THE SHIELD THAT IS FRONT OF THE OIL PAN, I NOTICED IT IS WORSE WHEN I PARK IT ON MY DRIVEWAY WHICH IS AT A SEMI HIGH INCLINE AND ALSO DRIPLETS OF TANNY FUID ON THE BOLTS ON THE REAR SIDE OF THE TRANNY FLUID PAN THAT LEAK REAL SLOW NO MATTER WHAT INCLINE THE TRUCK IS AT.. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF REMOVING THE TURBO TO CLEAN/INSPECT IT AND THE TURBO'S SEALS.

ANY SUGGESTIONS/IDEAS??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 11:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: O/D LIGHT FLASHING ON HOT DAYS

With the light flashing you have a transmission code that needs to be read before you start throwing parts at it. Check and see if you have a ATRA Transmission recommended shop in your area and get the codes read, expect to pay 1 hour of shop time for this.

The oil leak on the front could be the front cover or the HPOP gasket. I have never heard of a turbo leaking. The O rings will leak and can be a problem depending on how tight the bolts are that hold the turbo down. You'll need to pull the transmission pan and put a new gasket on it if you have a leak on it, that is if it isn't leaking from somewhere above the pan.

And before anyone else yells at you it is a lot easier to read post if the cap locks are off.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Alright sorry for the caps, I promise I was not yelling nor excited about my issues here. I have to use caps at work and I made the post at work. So I am setting an appointment with an high rated ATRA tranny shop in town, they are local so they should be decent. I will put the turbo back on and see what they say.

Thanks!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:19 AM
PSN Veteran

Also on the leak on the front of the engine, there are oil gallery plugs on the ends of the heads that will start to seep and or leak over time. They have a 1/2" square recess to remove them and there are 4 of them, 2 on each head.

If it is the front cover the engine needs to come out to replace the seal.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Any news on this truck?

1996 F350 Crewcab lb 2wd auto, tommylift, now over 451k, 355k 3/31/15

1991 F250 Xtracab lb 2wd auto, sold again! Driveline and chassis is under a '65 F350 cab

1965 F100 styleside, power brakes, front discs, 390 all the goodies
2015 F250 CCSB 2wd gasser auto
2008 Mustang WIP, warriors in pink, wife's
2009 Focus, son's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode