truck cuts out - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

truck cuts out

Alright so I was driving home last night and the truck would just cut out, drop a few hundred rpm's, then fire again and it would run fine. It didnt seem to matter if I was going slow or fast, or accelrating or not, it would just do it when it wanted to.

2003 F350 cclb 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:40 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: truck cuts out

I would try changing out the Cam Position Sensor (CPS). If that's not the fix, you at least have a spare for the glove box (always a good thing). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:48 PM
blowin coal

its definatly the cam position sensor

2000 ford 4x4 f250 ccsb
4 in turbo back exhaust
afe intake stage 2
8 inch suspension lift
38 inch tsl boggers

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:51 PM
PSN Local

Not always. It depends on how it was cutting out and if the check engine light came on or not.
If it did come on then check the codes. I thought my cam sensor was just going bad again and it turned out to be the gas pedal instead. It sure felt the same as the other cam sensors though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

No lights came on. I drove it today for about 40 miles, and it didnt happen. Where can I get a cps and where is it on the truck?

2003 F350 cclb 6.0
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 06:03 PM
PSN Veteran

I usually get CPS online through vendors like Tousley Ford Parts or Powerstrokeshop.com ($14-$19 or so depending on vendor). I have also got them at International. You can alwys try some of your local Auto Parts places since they may be carrying them these days. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:22 AM
PSN Local

Cam shaft positioning sensor is located on the front of the motor on towards the passenger side of the crank serpentine pulley. It will be inserted into the block with a 90* angle with a small clip on plug. It only has one bolt holding it and will have a goofy lil bracket which holds it in place. Can sometimes be hard to get in cuz your not gonna be able to see what your doin but i always lay under my truck and replace it that way. Just as a precaution i would still run diagnostic scan to see what codes are tripped...It cant hurt.

Death Row Diesel Inmate #22
2001 F-250 Platinum Edition 6" ProComp XM Lift with 325 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 18" Diamo Karat wheels.
Intake and Exhuast.
SOLD: 97 F-250 4X4 with Injectors, Intake, Exhaust, butterfly delete, 6 pos TS custom tuning, Dana 60 swap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode